4.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

"false" in phrase matched keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A couple of months ago I noticed that the keyword "false" started showing up in some of my search queries.  For example, I bid on "blue shoe" and the Search Term and Matched Search Query (Analytics) show that somebody is searching for "blue shoe false"  I found it odd to find that true of a couple of my keywords in March, but I just found that I have more than 60 phrase matched keywords (with multiple clicks) in the last 30 days where the same is true. 

Adwords and Analytics agree that somebody is using those search terms +"false", and now quite a bit.  But Analytics says that nobody searches (and clicks) using the same keywords (including the "false")

I added a negative keyword for it when I discovered there were so many.  Anybody see the same thing?  Know what it is?

Re: "false" in phrase matched keywords

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

One explaination is people are searching for something other than "blue shoes" .. such as the the BlueShoes: PHP Syntax Exam that shows up when the +false is added or another site that has nothing to do with blue shoes, Blueshoe Nashville Guide to Wildflowers 2001: False Rue Anemone ... These websites would be almost impossible to find searching only "blue shoe," as there must be 4 pages of highly optimized results towards blue shoes even though the keyword is essentially blue shoe (singular). That would drive someone crazy if they know what they're searching for. So if people aren't clicking your ads when +false is added that's what I think is happening.

Though after reading the question over, I have to say, the advertisers targetting "true blue shoes" and "blue shoes" are doing so intentionally because it has higher intent for people looking to buy shoes. When you target "blue shoe," it's clear that this doesn't have consumer intent behind it because who would only buy a singular "blue shoe." This is why the bigger advertisers are probably putting -"blue shoe" as a negative phrase. In order to raise their quality score. ...Sure someone might make a typo but it's not worth wasting QS over. (imo)

Hope this helps crmorrison! Love these more challenging questions!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I really appreciate the help!

"blue shoe" was just a made up keyword to show "blue shoe false" as an example. I understand where you are going with it. You are thinking they are typing in "false" to help narrow their search.

I'll counter with a few of the actual search queries (sorry, I really hate the thought of my competition stumbling across this and learning from it):

<SNIP>  Post once contained a half dozen 5+ word keyword phrases with "false" at the end.

I can't see how using "false" can possibly help the searcher get somewhere they want to be. These Matched Search Queries are pretty specific and I don't see how "false" fits in. It just doesn't make any sense in the above searches. I am wondering if "false" is being added on by Google somehow in Analytics and Adwords. Or maybe they are searches coming from a search partner that is adding it on for some reason. It just doesn't seem purposeful on the part of the searcher.

And It all went weird in the last month. There were zero clicks like this before March. March and April had a handful, and May had 61 keywords with about 80 or so clicks.

I'm not sure how to tell if these are users I want. Well, maybe I do…[checking]… There was a 3.75% conversion rate. It's a little less than my site average, but very respectable I think.

Maybe I don't want to use a negative keyword for it. But I'd sure like to know why it is happening! Any additional thoughts?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I had a feeling that was the case. Feel free to edit it. I've copied if I need to reference it later. 

If you have access to a product feed (don't want the comp to see this either but) is the column to the right of the product title/name a true/false value? Actually anywhere within the product feed is there a true/false column?

...wait. You're getting a 3.75% conversion rate on these false queries? Or 3.75% CTR?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

We noticed that as well. I believed that it was some type of query variable that Google threw in, but we didn't really research too deeply.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I appreciate the input.  It has really helped (helping) me work this problem.

Good thought process, but no.  The word false is not to be found at all in my data feed (or the boolean equiv).  Every required data type is included and populated (correctly).  The only data errors are a couple of long titles.

Yep, 3.75% Conversion Rate.  The Adwords "Search Term" listing shows anywhere from 0% to 3% CTR for these keywords (with "false" appended).  Analytics doesn't show CTR (only clicks) but it shows me a 3.75% Conversion Rate on those clicks.  My site average is 4.9% for the same period.  We worked very hard to get a very accurate and integrated Analytics integration, and it has paid for itself many times over in cases just like this.  Now that I know I am still gettting orders from these visits I'll remove the keyword from my negative keywords (and hopefully keep getting 3.75% conversion).

Now, what the heck is going on?  Maybe the "false" appended to the search phrase is not a problem per se, but that does not mean it should be happening.  People who don't have a bunch of Analytics data may just block that keyword (like I did with the data before delving further into it).

Any thoughts on where to go next?  I opened a ticket with Google and asked them to look at it, but it will probably take a few rounds of questions and I sure would love to have the answers.

Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That's the line we are thinking right now, but I think it is a search partner.  I'll keep on looking.

Thank you very much for letting me know that others are seeing the same thing!

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Are you by any chance advertising in the Search Partner network too ?

(oops noticed your last post only after submitting Smiley Happy

Searches at Search Partners can add odd search querries to your stats

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Finally found someone else who is see this as well!  I've experienced the same thing in multiple campaigns & ad groups.  I could be wrong, but I feel that this is a relatively recent issue as well.  I.e., I don't remember seeing these a few months ago (date of this comment, 6/7/12).  Any help, or just filling in the blanks would be appreciated.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Google tech support confirmed that it is something being added by one of their search partners.  Theyconfirmed that the searcher is not using the term "false".   I am going to follow up some more with tech support for additional info and will follow up here with what I find.