Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

"Traffic Zoom", Volume On GDN And Mysteries Of The Algorithm

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I've been advertising on Display Network for a couple of weeks and some things are just not clear to me. I've been promoting one dating site - I know dating is restricted on Adwords but I don't think this is connected with that.

I tried a combination Keywords + Topics and it gave some impressions and clicks but not too much. So, I tried just Keywords (same ones) and got awfully small number of impressions. Then I tried just Topics (same ones) and again got small number of impressions. I also tried to "enhance" an existing ad group by adding one topic to its targeting and was totally surprised to see that number of impressions went significantly down after that instead of going up.

So, here are my questions:

1. Is there really something that I called "traffic zoom", because whenever I wanted to increase traffic volume, it actually went down. It looked to me that when I do narrow targeting, I get some traffic, but as soon as I try to target a bit broader - traffic volume goes significantly down. What's interesting, I was adding some topics that are known to work well for dating (they are suggested for dating in the Display Planner) but as soon as I add them - disaster. Is there really such thing as "traffic zoom" that delivers traffic only if I target narrowly? If yes, then how do I get more traffic volume? Will ad groups be totally independent in this sense or would I have to make separate campaigns in order to make this different targets independent? I don't know if you understand me - when I have ad group or campaign that is delivering some traffic, I want that traffic to remain unaffected when I run the same ads on some other targeting. How do I do that?

2. If there is no such thing as "traffic zoom" then obviously Adwords' algorithm was playing tricks on me. In that case, I am interested to know how much time does the algorithm need to adapt to new conditions and start serving maximum number of impressions available?

3. Is there anything wrong with placing same ads into different campaigns? Targeting would be different, of course, but overlapping could occur even then since it's a similar subject (for example, two different keywords triggering ads to show on same webpages). Does Adwords' system see that and simply serves the ad by choosing one campaign or not? Could I get in trouble for this? I know the policies state that I shouldn't use multiple accounts to promote the same ads, but what about one account and multiple campaigns?

Thanks a lot!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

It sounds that you are targeting too narrow, or bidding too low or / and  do you have  banner sizes available?

Remember that the bigger banners are more expensive: I would recommend   to split ad-groups by  banner sizes and to bid higher on the bigger banners

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

MosheTLV,

You didn't understand me. When I was targeting Keywords + Topics (both in the same ad group) I was getting certain number of impressions. After doing everything I described in my original post to get more volume, the volume would go down relative to how it was before that. And I wasn't changing anything else - bid, ads, all other targeting - all the same except that one change. If it's not "traffic zoom" maybe the algorithm needed time to adapt - that's why I asked how much time it needs to adapt. I would like to know that in order to test different things properly. Also, what about my third question?

Thanks!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again @Ivica Z

I'm not familiar with the terminology "traffic zoom" or "time to adapt". Once you set your targeting methods and bids -  and assuming all settings are correct -  you are eligible to take part in an auction,

The decrease in impressions is due to losing auctions - you  should figure the reason. To me, it sounds either targeting too narrow, low bids or banner sizes not available. 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello again MosheTLV,

Targeting is not too narrow because I already received traffic for that targeting (the same goes for bids and banner size). And when I tried to target broader (same bid, same banner size, same everything), I received less traffic - that's the whole point of all this. And that's what I referred to as "traffic zoom" (I gave it that name) - something that gives me traffic only when I target narrowly. I really do hope that "traffic zoom" doesn't exist because it shouldn't exist.

So maybe my problems were caused by Adwords' algorithm adapting (not adopting) to new targeting. I know that it learns something from history, but I don't know how much time it needs for that. It might got stuck when I changed targeting, but I cannot be sure as I don't know how it works - that's why I asked.

Please tell me, if I target only with Keywords (or only with Topics) and do it with proper bid and everything else, I should get a lot of traffic? There is nothing bad about targeting by using ONLY Keywords or ONLY Topics or ONLY Placements, right?

And please answer if you know (or anyone else who knows) that third question from my original post. It's very important to me.

Thank You!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Ivica Z

I respectfully disagree that  the issue in not with the targeting method.

There is no issue with the algorithm.  No change has been made.

Again,  I "sense" that the campaign was not properly structured;

Technically, there is no issue with setting different  banners in different campaigns. If you set the bid correctly  the banners (of both campaigns)  will not compete. Gaining unfair advantage (aka double serving using different accounts) applies only to the search network and does not apply to the display network.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't understand you, but it looks like you respectfully don't respect me at all.

I had an ad group which used Keywords, Topics and demographics for targeting and this ad group was delivering thousands of impressions. I then removed Topics from targeting, leaving only Keywords and demographics (nothing else changed, just Topics removed) and got a few hundreds of impressions. I then removed Keywords and put Topics back on (nothing else changed) - again just a few hundreds of impressions.

So what was not properly structured?

Or are you implying that I'm not telling the truth? You should not do that, respectfully or otherwise. I described the situation, if you can help - great and thanks, but don't insult me in case you cannot help.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

1. There is nothing, no phenomena called "traffic zoom" in Google AdWords. Therefore the term is without meaning.

2. Google's algorithms do not "play tricks".

3. Moshe is a volunteer attempting to assist you in a professional manner, and imho the information he provided is spot-on accurate. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

1. I didn't say that there is. That is just a term that I used to explain what I was experiencing and to ask a question. I actually said that I hope it doesn't exist. Do not use that to discredit me or my questions if you don't wish to help.

2. I wasn't using that in a negative connotation, I was referring to time that the algorithm needs to adjust and again that was in order to ask a question more clearly. Do not use that to discredit me or my questions if you don't wish to help.

3. I don't discredit anyone. I respect those who want to help, but I don't like when someone is implying that I'm not telling the truth or that I don't know what I'm doing.

If you or Moshe are really here to help, then please answer the question from my previous post: What was not properly structured? I still haven't read a spot-on accurate answer to that question.

If you don't know the answer, then say so. I'm not interested in hurting your ego. I will say Thank You.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Ivica Z;

There might be some miscommunication here.  The disagreement between you and me is about the  interpretation of the data you provided, in other words, how I  interpret the performances you see. (No one questioned the validity of the data.)

Let me clarify: You asked / assumed  that there might be an issue with the algorithm, or there might be a "transition period". My interpretation is that you're either targeting too narrow, bid too low, and  ad-groups might  not structured correctly.

Hence, I would recommend to look into these settings. I also explained how I think the campaign should be structured. (See above)

Now, this is a public forum, so we cannot get into the details and the "nuts and bolts" of the campaign and publicly audit it.