4.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

"Path" in expanded text ads should allow us to delete "www"

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

The "Path" in expanded text ads defaults to "www" so that it always reads, say, www.example.com. There's no option to delete the www in case I want the url to display as "example.com." I would request Google to provide users with the ability to edit out the www if they wish.

Some of my campaigns now have the old-style ads where the display url doesn't contain www, and the new expanded ads that contain www. Makes comparisons a little more complicated. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: "Path" in expanded text ads should allow us to delete "www"

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello @onbeta

This is a good point. I read a post earlier where an advertiser's website does not have www included in its url so it actually sends users to a 404 error page.

Hopefully Google provides a solution for this such as a drop-down toggle option between having www or not.

Best,

Nick

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Well... Google has strict formats. (In all of its products...) Once a decision was made (about a given format) user must adhere to the format chosen (by Google...)
The reason is technical, and also uniformity of the SERP design and layout.
Though I personally support the idea, I don't think Google is going to embrace it... Smiley Surprised

My 2 pennies....

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Nick - Thanks, that would obviously be a huge problem. We have put in a redirect from www.example.com to example.com in the htaccess file, but not everybody does that.

Moshe - Thanks for your thoughts. Our branding everywhere is example.com, including on business cards, so hopefully Google will allow us to keep that uniform across all media by allowing www in the Path. Let's see if they change anything...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Subdomains will be a problem too. We have multi-layer subdirectories at several subdomains.

I'm guessing that the new Path's dont have to be valid, right? If I create an ad with /toolkit/ as a path, I dont also need to create a valid subdirectory in my folder structure?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’