AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

"Other Search Terms" in Keyword Details. Grrr

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

First time caller, long time listener. Thanks to everyone who helps out on the forum! I greatly appreciate your expertise and advice. Now this has been asked, but thought I'd resurface the question for some possible new intel. The mysterious "other search terms" in keyword details is very annoying. This I do know:

These search terms resulted in impressions (and sometimes clicks) for your ads, but they aren't listed individually in the "Search terms" table. Clicks and impressions for search terms are included in this row if both of the following are true:

• You didn't receive any clicks on this search term within the last 30 days (from someone who wasn't blocking their referrer URL).
  • The search term wasn't entered by a significant number of people.

Also, clicks and impression data for search terms entered within the last 24 hours will always be in the "Other search terms row." Check back later to see these in the search terms report.

To try and avoid this, most keywords are on Phrase or Exact. I pollute Ad Groups w/ Negative Keywords and I check out the Keyword Tool for potential keywords to add and block. This keyword variation is on. What I don't get is how I still get terms showing up w/ 1 impression and 0 zero clicks frequently. So the bullet pts don't really make sense to me.

Some numbers

On a Phrase Match keyword that's been running since 8/28/12, I have 854 Impressions and a CTR of 3.6%. Of that, I can't view 683 of those terms which have 0 clicks. These just drags the CTR down, which affects the QS, which affects the Ad Rank and CPC. Muy mal.  It's just frustrating since the CTR plays such a big role in this whole thing, and search terms I cannot even view give me a poor CTR (now most AGs of ours don't have a 3.6% CTR; more like less than 1%). Oh and those 'other search terms' cost $1.23 for a month. That adds up when you have many keywords, ad groups, and campaigns. On most keywords, I cannot view 50% of the terms that triggered impressions.

Any thoughts, or just soldier on? Is there any word on the Google Street about this being improved?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: "Other Search Terms" in Keyword Details. Grrr

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I wish I could see into that "Other Search Terms" data too.  It is really frustrating to see the CTR on those and just wonder what you are showing up for...

I did try to get really aggressive on negative keywords and did see improvements in the "other search terms" data CTR being affected in a positive way.

I used the Keyword Tool to identify and add negatives that I had not thought of and adding them as exact match negatives.  I did end up with a negative keyword list that was really long but it did help.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Unfortunately, you'll have to soldier on. I don't think there's a single AdWords advertiser that doesn't share your frustration. It's data we're paying for and SHOULD see.

As Kim mentioned, all you can do is mine your server logs, GA and try exclude as many as you can.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I see the video I posted did not show up. Here is a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNEiKrBCHl4.

This video shows the older keyword tool interface but the concept is the same. If you put a broad, broad modified, or phrase match keyword into the tool and it returns suggestions of what it thinks is relevant then it is safe to assume that Google may serve your ads on these terms it thinks relevant. If you see keyword suggestions that are not relevant use the tool to build a 'negative' list and download it and add to your account in either an adgroup, campaign or shared library negative list.

Q's welcome

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I want to chime in as another user who is frustrated by the lack of data. I have used the Keyword tool to identify potential negatives, but I sure wish I could narrow it down further. It makes no sense that I can see some things in my Search Terms report with a single impression and not others.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the replies. Mostly wanted to open the discussion again. I saw your video in the first post Kim. Thank you for that - did pick up some new and useful advice.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to add my frustration to this topic.

I contacted AdWords support on this issue and added an example of some wildly large numbers of impressions for 'other search terms'.

As suspected, they confirmed what has been mentioned above, and that in general, the other search terms report will only show search terms which actually generated clicks.

It's a shame that the data just isnt made readily available.

Thanks Kim for a great video on how to build that negative keyword list, mine's quite extensive, but still a lot of other terms getting through somehow.

Dave, just wanted to point out that you can't mine GA data and server logs for impressions which didn't receive clicks (in case anyone wastes any time looking for data that isn't there), so we'll just have to stick with building those negative keyword lists... 

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Kim this is great post, But when we are putting pharse match of any keyword in New keyword tool, it is giving us the report for broad match only, how can we search for only phrase match

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Also Kim when i entered some of these keywords into Google search , they are not showing my ad at all, then why should i work so hard to enter these into Negative List

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi Jeewan,

Regarding your Phrase match Keyword, you can find your answers in the below link:-
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Google-Adwords-Keyword-Tool-vs-Adwords-Keyword...

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/From-the-Community-Team/Keyword-Planner-Share-your-best-prac...

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’