AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

"Landing page experience" and landing page a/b testing conflicts?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello everyone.

I am getting very low Landing page experience in some keywords that are targeting some pages where i am doing a/b testing with google analytics (experiments).

Some of the pages i am doing this ab test with are pure images because i wanted to have some real-life stats about the performance of those kind of pages. It is easy to guess that those pages will have a low landing page experience because they have no text/content at all... But in the same experiment there are also variations with a lot of relevant and rich content.

Is it possible that i am getting a low Landing page experience because adwords is "parsing" the page with almost no written content (for example the page filled just with images and no text) not considering the other content-rich variations at all?

Thanks for your help.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: "Landing page experience" and landing page a/b testing c

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;
Well... "The content is the king". The question is how good is your content; how relevant it is to the keywords, and  to the theme keywords create, and what is the structure layout of the page.

Pictures are OK; But you must have content.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes, of course.
But my question is different: is it possible that adwords is calculating the "landing page experience" factor based only on that variation that has only images/no text content?
I am getting good results in similar keywords that target the pages without the "image-only" variation, this is the reason why i am asking such thing.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
It could be that major part / layout of your page is with pics and it is hard for the system to analyze this section. A different layout of the pics, on the page, could do the trick.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes Moshe but you are not getting the real point: the quesion is not about "Does a page with a lot of images have a good landing page experience?" because that is obvious, it is about "How does adwords calculate landing page experience when the landing page has an experiment running?".

My experience tells me that usually google crawlers (the one used to parse content in web pages for organic results) do not understand/run javascript. Since the analytics experiment variations are handled by javascript redirects i would suppose that the google spider/crawler would get the content of the "original" version of the experiment (that in this case has relevant content) to detect it's landing page experience factor.

What do you guys think?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hello, Yari. If I remember correctly this is not the first time that an image-only page gets flagged for landing page experience. The crawler cannot interpret images and cannot compute the relevance between a search term / keyword / ad and an image, so it makes sense from this point of view as well.

I'm not dead sure, as I did not (unfortunately) take part in writing the algorithm Smiley Happy, but I'm inclined to think it works this way.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks AdWiser, but the image-only page is not the only one, it is one of the 4 variations i have. 

This is, again, the main thing i am not fully convinced about. Adwords is evaluating the landing page experience based on one of the 4 variations i have? And how is this variation chosen? Randomly like a visitor that visits that same page and take part of the analytics experiment?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Yari L
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
No, QS is calculated everytime an auction takes place, so for each variation. What you see there is the current QS, after all pages have rotated. But most likely the image-only variation hurts your QS most.

"Campaign experiments influence your Quality Score for any keywords involved in your experiments.

Running an experiment might negatively impact your Quality Score in the short-term because you might test ads or bids that perform worse than your current ads or bids. However, in the long term, running an experiment and finding high quality ads or a better bid should raise your quality score, making up for this short-term drop in performance."

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2385204?hl=en
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Yari,

Agreeing to what Moshe has said, Content is the King. Be it a plain text, image or any video, it is after all a content that is targeted towards your audience. If you say, your landing page has lots of images, then it depends what kind of images are you using? Are they relevant your ads, your keywords, your business, or your product or services? It's not the question of measuring numbers and their effectiveness, it's about delivering precise marketing message using any means available. So be it image, text or video, let's make it precise, stable, and targeted.

I hope this helps.

Kapil M

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Yari

Adding to All above Great Answers, i would like to include one more point that as per my understanding Landing Page Experience and Ad relevancy depend on proper keywords grouping also in an ad group. So if you have two different themes keywords in an ad group and using the using the same landing pages for all of them, try making a new ad group for the keyword which are showing poor landing page experience with the same landing pages and check again for rating of landing page experience.

Just an suggestion!

Abhishek