Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

"Keyword City City Area" Search Term

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I look at the search term report for a few of my clients i see that "[keyword] [City] [City] Area" is a popular term with a main keyword, followed by the city two times and "Area". This seems like an unnatural search term so I'm wondering if its spam searches. Any thoughts? Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by JimVaillancourt (Rising Star)
July 2016

Re: "Keyword City City Area" Search Term

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Stephan B

I'm willing to bet when you segment by network you'll find it's all labeled "Search partners."  If so, it's most likely coming from a site where a search isn't really being performed, but rather a user is clicking on a category.  When the category page loads, the site performs a pre-programmed search for that page so it can serve search ads instead of display.

It's real traffic, but they technically did not perform the search.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by JimVaillancourt (Rising Star)
July 2016

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Stephan B

I'm willing to bet when you segment by network you'll find it's all labeled "Search partners."  If so, it's most likely coming from a site where a search isn't really being performed, but rather a user is clicking on a category.  When the category page loads, the site performs a pre-programmed search for that page so it can serve search ads instead of display.

It's real traffic, but they technically did not perform the search.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
I agree with David. In Australia whenever we see such un-natural queries, they are usually related to categories at Gumtree.com, a major search partner.