Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

"Another creative in the ad group was selected over this one" error

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a campaign with similar keywords which run in different match type. One is in exact match and the other is in phrase match. I've already searched for the solution of this error. I found that I should add the keywords from this ad group to other's ad group negative word list. But when I implement this solution, another error appear. It said that "A negative keyword ([A]) is preventing your ad from showing". What should I do to prevent this error and "Another creative" error appear?

Thank you so much!!!!!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: "Another creative in the ad group was selected over this one" error

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Kwon,

Chances are you have probably mixed up campaign level negatives and ad group level negatives.

E.g. if the KWs in question are listed in a particular AG of a particular campaign, then you are supposed to add their negatives to the other AGs within that campaign. Do not mistakenly add those negatives to the campaign proper because that would bump you into the issue you described above.

Best,
Lakatos

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Kwon,

Chances are ythat you have added negative keyword at campaign level, which is preventing you from adding it in another campaign or at another adgroup. Try finding that keyword under negative keywords from editor and remove and then try to add keyword.

Hope it will solve your problem.

Let me know if you still needs more help.

Regards,
Manish

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
These are two different "errors", which may not be errors at all. Depending on what you are trying to do.

Exact campaign: Only exact match KW's, no negatives.
Broad/Phrase campaign: The broader versions of those same exact match terms, with the terms added as exact match negatives to the campaign.

When you preview the kw terms from the broader campaign, a negative kw should always be preventing your ad from showing for that exact term. But, you should also see the "Another creative" message, because the exact kw campaign would be showing an ad for that exact search term/kw.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I still don't understand what should I do. I added keyword [A] to phrase match ad group and "A" to exact match ad group (Both are in ad group level). At phrase match ad group I see the error "A negative keyword ([A]) is preventing your ad from showing". But in exact match ad group I don't see this error nor "another creative" error. When I moved to the eligible bubble (in exact match ad group) it said my ad was showing and I didn't see the "another creative" error. But when I used Ad Preview and Diagnosis, the "another creative" appeared again.

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Do nothing. You did NOT have a problem in the first place. These "error" messages can be very misleading to the uninitiated. Smiley Happy

"Another creative" means that your ad IS SHOWING! It's working, you're good. Smiley Happy You just have to go to the campaign/adgroup that your ad is showing for, then do the ad preview and diagnosis - at the keyword level - in that campaign/adgroup, and you're ad should be "showing". Lakatos was one of the mentors of mine, who taught me long ago not to rely on the tools, and error messages alone. Smiley Happy You have to keep the account structure, and levels of view in mind. 

Why are concerned that the "right" ad may not be showing? AdWords (PPC) is an advertising medium after all. If you are showing a/an ad to a potential customer, then you are successfully achieving the goal of advertising your products/services.

Sometimes, less is more. Smiley Happy What business goal are you trying to achieve? Perhaps this particular structure is not suited to that goal?

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My objective is to build brand awareness for my new product. This is the campaign I target to competitor's keywords.
Although the bubble said my keyword is showing ad, Ad Preview and Diagnosis said my ad isn't showing. This is the error.
"No, your ad is not showing for the keyword [A]
Your keyword isn't triggering ads to appear on Google right now due to a low Ad Rank. Ads are ranked based on your bid and Quality Score.What can I do?
Another creative in the ad group was selected over this one."

I use this keyword to show my ad in competitor's products. Is there any solutions that my ad can show in competitor's products? The quality score for keyword [A] is 3/10 and "A" is 5/10.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kwon K
August 2016

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner
In your competitors campaign, you have two adgroups - One adgroup using exact match terms, and one using broad/phrase match terms with the exact terms added as [Exact] negatives, correct?
First of all, pause the broad/phrase adgroup, and focus only on the exact match adgroup.
Pause all but one ad in that adgroup.
Raise the bid of the adgroup.

Now try your preview and diagnosis again.
Are you still getting an error message, and if so, what is it?
Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much for your help! I will try it and see if there is any error (Hope they won't appear again Smiley Very Happy )