Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

quality score

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys, 

I have a campaign set up which I believe is going fairly good however I seem to be getting a lot of impression shares with little clicks. I understand that it has to with low quality score but I have an average between 5-10 for my quality scores ? I make sure I keep updating my website with key words and all my meta data is complete. I do have a lot of key words that have "low search volume" but i feel these are relevant to what i need?  I don't know where to go from here ? 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: quality score

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Lisa,

you usually get less CTR when your keywords are too broad for your business. If your ads showing in to a larger audience but if people are not interested in clicking in those you need to rethink about the relevancy of those keywords again

Also low search volume can be used , it wont make any harm for your campaign. so if you really need to use them and u think they are relevant u can continue using them. Anyway if we are talking about a niche market here having low search volume keywords are natural

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
excellent thank you for that Smiley Happy

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Lisa,

In addition to the information you have been given here, you seem to have a misconception that I will try and clarify. QS does not affect CTR, it is the other way round. If you have a low CTR you will have a low QS in most cases. So having a low QS does not give you a low CTR. The things to concentrate on with low CTR are ad relevance and copy. Make sure that your keywords are getting to the correct target audience and not triggering for irrelevant searches. Also make sure your ad copy is clear, succinct and will stand out from the others.

Use the Search Query report to determine what user are searching for when triggering your ads.

learn more about the SQR here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472708

hope this helps

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Lisa,

The Quality Score doesn't have to do anything with people clicking on your ad. I think with Quality Score you should check your position of Keywords and the ad's which you are using, which will help you in increasing the clicks and thus increasing the CTR and Quality Score of your Keywords.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I agree and disagree with some of the comments here...

it 's absolutely true that CTR impacts on QS.

But QS (in combination with the bids) impacts on the ad position which tends to affect the CTR... so indirectly QS is a factor. Here's what I tend to see happen more often than I would like.

A keyword has a poor QS - so the ad position is lower than it might be. so the CTR is lower than it would be... and then the QS is impacted negatively - we're now in a loop - a downward spiral that we can't break out of.

There are things which we can do to our landing page and we can tweak our ad copy, but sometimes the only way to reverse the downward pull is to increase our bids... so we improve our ad position, which improves our CTR which improves our QS.

These things are all interdependent. I feel it is oversimplistic to say A affects B... because B may be affecting A through its effect on C - and so on.

There is also the time factor. You cannot simply make a change to your landing page and expect an immediate improvement in your QS... nor will a few good days of CTR make a difference. Where an immediate effect in ad position happens is at the bid level - and sometimes this is where we have to "stop the rot". This is not to say that we shouldn't bother with the other improvements - of course we should - but they will take more time to impact on the campaign.

I know many managers who will run new campaigns with very high bids at launch precisely to ensure that their ads get good positions early on to get as good a CTR as they can so as to get as good a starting QS as possible. Once they achieve this the bids can be reduced to more reasonable levels and "normal" optimisation can be resumed.... for some accounts this may be a very effective approach.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Stickleback,

While it is somewhat simplistic you do seem to be forgetting that expected CTR is calculated at each individual ad position. So being in a different ad position will not affect your QS as each ad position has a different expected CTR calculated on other advertisers in that position.

So, the spiral you talk about is never an issue. Yes you will have a different CTR in ad position 1 when compared to 8 but this is considered in the calculation.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
But historical CTR is important so as the campaign gathers traffic CTR is a factor- or am I missing something?