5.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

problems changing the default max cpc bid

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

why can't a change my bid amount for certain keywords.  it keeps saying the changes are inapplicable

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: problems changing the default max cpc bid

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi nateproper,

Have you got your bidding setting set to automatic bidding? If so, this can prevent you changing them manually. You would need to edit this to manual to be able to edit your bids.

Check this by going to your campaign setting page and look under Bidding & budget.

Let me know how you get on.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks for your help.  now how do i turn off the automatic bid portion.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi all,
Running into the same problem described above. 3 new campaigns created at the same time, 2 have their max cpc flagged as Auto in Editor, the last one is correctly set as Manual CPC.

I'm not using any bid optimisation features, all Settings are strictly the same for all campaigns. But to make sure I was not missing anything I reapplied the "Use default bid strategy" to all my keywords.
When I update Editor with the latest changes, my max cpc are still on Auto and my "bidding option" under campaign tab is still Unknown.
Can you help?
Thanks

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
You may have bidding strategy overrides on ad groups, as well as on keywords. Make sure to check deleted ad groups (and keywords therein), too; these don't show up in the web interface by default.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I just checked and reset all the adgroup to Default bid strategy but I see no change in Editor after refreshing data unfortunately.

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee
Have you checked deleted ad groups? Like I said, they don't show up by default. At the top of Ad Groups tab, in the leftmost drop-down, choose All (the default is "All but deleted"). I suspect you have overrides on some deleted ad groups.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Little progress: for one campaign I did forget to show All adgroups before mass updating, so I was missing one deleted adgroup. Now problem is solved in Editor for this one. Great!

For the last campaign, the main one in my account, I was showing All Adgroup and All Keywords. But the issue remains. Frustrating!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, I am having a similar problem. I added an automatic bid strategy to 1 ad group. I then removed the bid strategy, deleted it and set the campaign, ad group and keyword bidding back to manual cpc bidding with a default max bid. However, after refreshing adwords editor that entire campaign still lists 'Auto' as the Default max. CPC and 'Unknown' as the Bidding option. Everything in adwords itself looks fine, I'm just seeing this on the editor (and scared to post any changes for fear of overriding the correct bids/settings in adwords).

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee
You still have keywords with explicit overrides.

In the online interface, you can turn on Bid Strategy Type column (Columns > Customize Columns > Attributes > Bid Strategy Type > Add > Apply), then sort on that column. Items with explicit overrides will appear at the top. The column would say "CPC" both for default strategy and for the override - but the default one appears in gray while the override in black.