AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

prioritizing ads/landing pages for same keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm working on a problem that seems simple, but several AdWords representatives have been unable to help me. I suspect that the only solution is to switch from CPC to ROAS

I want on the order of two thirds of the clicks to landing page A and the remainder of clicks to go to landing page B. This sounds simple, except I want to use the same keywords for both landing pages.

Budgets and CPC bids are set at the campaign and ad group level, but we really only have one set of keywords and we don't want to split them up. How do we get them to see a mix of ads - some which target landing page A and some that target landing page B? With CPC, ads and landing pages seem inextricably linked to keywords, so the only way to get people to different landing pages is by splitting the keywords.

The only way I can think of to get around this is to use conversion tracking rather than campaigns and ad groups to attain this goal. Basically, I set up conversion goals for both landing pages and then switch the bidding strategy to ROAS. That way, I can change the value of the two goals so that Google eventually shows searchers a mix of the two landing pages.

Any other ideas?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

If you want to test 2 different landing pages, you can make a a draft of that campaign then run it as an experiment, which will direct 50% (or whatever percent you need) of the traffic to the new landing page. Basically, you duplicate a campaign (as a draft) and you can change whatever you want in it - in this case the landing page - and run both at the same time to compare them. - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6318732?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, Dean, that's wonderfully helpful.

Just to be clear, we aren't trying to gather any new information. We know that we want visitors to see both landing pages. However, by using the experiment functionality, we may be able to achieve our goal.

Basically, our goal is just to get new visitors for two parts of our sites. Sometimes we want them to check out Landing Page A and sometimes we want them to check out Landing Page B. We think that the same people will find both landing pages helpful, so we want them to see both. However, Landing Page A is slightly more valuable, so we want more of our advertising spend to go to showing people that page.

Does that make sense?

And does anyone else have any other wonderfully helpful ideas for how we could achieve the goal of using Adwords to show the same people (same keywords) two different parts of our site?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

You could also have 2 ads with the different landing pages in each adgroup and set the Ad Rotation Setting to "Rotate Evenly", but I don't think you would have much control over the percentage of their visibility.

There's also a third party service called Visual Website Optimizer that I use to test landing page variations, and it can achieve the same goal without creating a draft campaign experiment (but it's a paid service and can be tricky to set up). As an example, I'm using it to test 4 different landing pages against each other, and I set it to give the same amount of traffic to each page. 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Forest,

If you get more value from Landing Page A, it would make economic sense to use it all of the time.

You can change campaign settings so that ads rotate evenly. In theory this means each of 2 ads will show 50% of the time. In reality more like in the 40-60% range, and you can't choose which would show the most. You could use this setting with 6 copies of ad A and 4 copies of ad B - might work.

Or duplicate campaigns and split up your visitors by location, or device, or time of day, etc. You could show ad A on Mon-Wed-Fri and ad B on Tue-Thu.

Your other option is to use conversion optimisation software on your site, which switches the landing pages according to whichever criteria to set and measures the result.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Some great ideas above.  Another way to do it is to use a landing page hosting service.  I have used one of the leading ones to create landing page split tests.  You create a landing page, and copy it to variants which can be modified.  Or use two completely different page designs.  The pages which can be hosted by the LP company; or within a Wordpress domain (using a Wordpress extension). You can set the % of traffic that goes to each page, and the variants; it doesn't need to be a 50/50 split.  This takes some of the complexity off the AdWords campaign, because it is always sending traffic to the same url.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Forest S,

What I do in this case is create 3 ads in the ad group, 2 go to landing page A and one goes to landing page B, then set ad rotation to even forever. It won't be an exact 2/3 to 1/3 split, but it will be close. There are other parameters that may affect even serving, like if you mark one ad for mobile preference. So make sure things are as even as you can get them for the 2 ads.

I do this when I have a control ad with good conversion rates and want to test new copy. It works out well, just remember to set the date range for your reports to a time when all 3 ads are/were active when you look at the data.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks everyone for your very helpful suggestions. I feel like I have a much better understanding of my options than I got from talking to Google.

I should emphasize that we are just a small nonprofit with limited resources. As a result, we are pretty wedded to our existing CMS products (we use Mediawiki and XenForo).

It may have been better to use a different term rather than landing pages - they are more like sections of our webpage that we want our audience to know about. We serve a very small audience and Search Network Adwords gives us a cost effective way to reach them. Basically, we have some cool stuff on our site and we want the people who could benefit from it to know about it. We could add some javascript here and there, but we're pretty wedded to our existing CMS and the programming we've done on it. It would probably be cost prohibitive to make any major changes.

.... Especially when Dean E's idea of using AdWords's built in experiment functionality may do what we need it to do. I set it up this afternoon and I haven't seen anything that horrifies me (yet). Likewise, the idea that several of you have mentioned of setting ad rotation to forever could work quite well once we know which ads work the best (again, with our labor force consisting of busy volunteers, we want to let Google's machine learning figure out as much as possible).

Can anyone think of any disadvantages of using the built-in adwords functionality and just letting the "experiment" run forever?

Again, our goal may be a little atypical because we don't sell anything. We serve such a small audience that chances are that our target audience will see our ads several times. Sometimes we want them to see the stuff on landing page A and sometimes we want them to see the stuff on landing page B. It seems like an unending "experiment" could help us achieve this goal.

Thanks everyone for the help - it's been incredibly helpful. All that's left is to confirm that there aren't any gotchas with the "unending experiment" approach.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Do you use Google Analytics?

If so, you can get a good idea of how many repeat visitors you get via AdWords. Best to check rather than guess.

Via Analytics, you can set up Remarketing Lists for Search Ads
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2701222

And in doing so, you can show ads for page B to people who visited page A, and vice versa.

Your other option is to combine the best part of pages A & B into a landing page that tells them everything rather than just one thing.