Guide Me
star_border

phrase match v broad match

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I have been playing around with keyword match types for some keywords with 'below first page bid' messages & low 'quality scores'.

In general, I have found that changing a keyword from "examplekeyword" to examplekeyword<no inverted commas> causes google to change the match type to 'broad' from 'phrase' & removes the "below first page bid" message against the keyword & often changes the quality score from 3 or 4, to between 7 & 10 out of 10.

Is there an article I can read which helps me to understand the logic behind these changes or can someone give me a overview ?

Many Thanks

Thanks

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: phrase match v broad match

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

Changing the match type of the keyword from higher order to a lower order of precedence (i.e. from Phrase match to Broad match type) could change the way how Google calculates first page bid estimates for that particular keyword.

About the Quality Score, you need to understand how relevant the keyword is and whether the new keyword (when the match type is changed) is performing exceptionally well in terms of CTR and other important metrics. Once your new keyword has generated good amount of impressions, then you would see the actual Quality Score attached to your keyword as compared to the initial one when you included the new keyword.

Also, there's an important article on how similar keywords match to search terms in Google Adwords:

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

I would suggest you to read this and get more insights.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Making that change will almost certainly change the first page bid estimate because the broad match keyword can be matched to so many more search terms than could the phrase match version. Of course, this also means that the likelihood that the searcher was actually looking for what you offer also decreases... which makes your traffic less targeted.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK, so essentially a' modified broad match' costs less, because its less 'exact' than a 'phrase' or 'exact' match ? I presume then, that if I use modified broad, I will rank lower, when the term is searched for, than a competitor with a phrase or exact keyword in their campaign that is the same ?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi there;

>>> "..., so essentially a' modified broad match' costs less, because its less 'exact' than a 'phrase' or 'exact' match ? ..."

It does not necessarily cost less; The common strategy is to bid higher on the more restrictive match type;

(It makes sense: you are willing to pay more per click, if the search query exactly matches your keyboards. This is the case where the user is searching for your exact service/ product and hence, you are willing to pay more to get a higher rank;

Your rank is always relative to other ads, (also) competing in the auction. (There is no "always" in AdWords. It's relative to.)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’