Guide Me
star_border

not so close "close variant"

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi 

Just wanna share with you what I saw in an account today:

Keyword: "molnet" (swedish for "the cloud", and this was a phrase match)

Search term: litet moln (swedish for small cloud)

The match type was: "phrase" (close variant).

But I´d say that is not very close!

Btw, the ad was related to cloud computing.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: not so close "close variant"

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Swedish is a fickle language Smiley Happy. Joking aside, for a non-Swedish, moln & molnet may be quite related.

Google Translate, from Swedish to English, of the moln, molnet words outputs clouds, cloud.

Negative keywords are your only way out of this, I suspect.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Well David, Negative keywords is the only way to resolve this.

seeing your linkedin profile you are from sweden and assuming targeting is in sweden google have translated this

if you are targeting other countries these things could repeat due to localization

If you frequently encounter these issues, i would suggest you translate in other languages and add negative as well

Cheers,
Arpit

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
the not so close relation wasn´t between "moln" and "molnet " (I buy that they are closely related, just another wordform), but that the word "litet" was there.

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Hi David,

That looks like expected behaviour to me. For a single keyword, phrase match will behave very much like modified broad match. The matching algorithm applied both "close variant" by changing molnet to moln and phrase match by allowing words before or after the keyword phrase.

If you only want to target single words as search terms, exact match [molnet] would be the better option.