AdWords
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

new campaign, low adrank -- how long does it take to pick up?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I made a copy of a campaign (same adgroups, same keywords), but changed ad copy in the new campaign and pointed the ads to a new landing page on a different domain with a different but still relevant offer for the same search queries. The new set up is in my opinion better optimized and the landing page is better experience for the user. However, Google seems to be ignoring my account history when determining quality scores/adrank. With the old campaign I could cap my CPC to avoid paying too much and still get a reasonable number of clicks. But with the new campaign I don't get enough impressions to do that. The problem is that the new campaign so far has a much higher conversion rate and I'd like to replace the old campaign. It's been almost a couple of days and some of the quality scores/low adrank messages make absolutely no sense. For example, I have a keyword which is an exact match for the domain which gets 3/10 !?. My question is two-fold:

1) Should I run both new and old campaigns in parallel with a split budget until the new campaign picks up (I assume that Google would favour the old campaign when it comes to displaying ads for the same keywords)?

2) How long does it take for adrank to 'pick up' once a new campaign has been created?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nestor K
September 2015

Re: new campaign, low adrank -- how long does it take to pick up?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Nestor K,

You've not only started a new campaign, you are pointing to a new domain. When you do something like this, your QS starts all over. Yes, your account performance is taken into account, but so is keyword performance across all accounts. It will take some time for the improved CTR to affect the QS of the new campaign, usually about 1000 impressions. You may need to raise your bids to get enough traffic.

Run both campaigns together? Campaign experiments are better for splitting traffic between 2 campaigns with the same or similar keywords. Running both campaigns at the same time will result in one campaign getting all the traffic, probably the older campaign. If you're looking to test, set up an experiment.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Nestor.
AdRank is calculated at the time of the auction. It's important to understand this. Also, it's important to understand that adrank and quality score are not the same thing.

You never specified where the quality score problem was. It sounds to me like it's your landing page. It's quite possible that while you think that the new landing page is a better experience for the user, Google does not. Or Google does not think that the new landing page is relevant.

If the only thing you changed is your landing page, then it's likely the problem.
Are *all* the keywords low quality score? When you hover over the info bubble, where does Google say you have "below average" scores?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Adrank and quality score are related, are they not? (Adrank = QS x Max CPC) 

In the old campaign, some keywords are now 9/10. I just tested a 9/10 keyword with the preview tool and the ad wasn't being displayed due to low adrank. This is illogical according to the Adrank formula.

EDIT: Yes, I've looked the keyword bubbles. For the new camaign, QS is around 4-7. For the old one, around 7-9. The landing page is different and the ad copy has been modified. But the question remains if I should wait for Google to collect more data  and for how long and whether to run both campaigns in parallel.

EDIT2: And please explain if my ads are worse than before, how come I'm getting a CTR of 2.96% (average position 5.1) compared with 2.53% (ave position 3.7) for the supposedly 'better' campaign? The new landing page cannot be a problem because I'm getting a better conversion rate. Going on data alone, subjective opinions aside, ad rank for the new campaign ads should be higher. Been doing adwords for some time, and still yet to see an explanation of adrank/quality scores that actually makes full sense.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nestor K
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Nestor K,

You've not only started a new campaign, you are pointing to a new domain. When you do something like this, your QS starts all over. Yes, your account performance is taken into account, but so is keyword performance across all accounts. It will take some time for the improved CTR to affect the QS of the new campaign, usually about 1000 impressions. You may need to raise your bids to get enough traffic.

Run both campaigns together? Campaign experiments are better for splitting traffic between 2 campaigns with the same or similar keywords. Running both campaigns at the same time will result in one campaign getting all the traffic, probably the older campaign. If you're looking to test, set up an experiment.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks! That's a very clear, precise answer. Just what I was looking for.