AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

negative kw question

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Let's say I have these phrases as kw's in my account:

how to paint a fence

&

how much to paint a fence

I know the first doesn't convert for me and the second does.

So I've set this as a neg kw:

how to

I know this will block 'how to paint a fence' but will it also block 'how much to paint a fence'?  Since both phrases contain the neg kw, but the phrase I want to show for doesn't contain the neg kw's in sequence.

Thanks

Adam

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adam C
September 2015

Re: negative kw question

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Adam,

In case of -ve broad match type keywords, every word in your negative keywords has to appear in the user's search queries (in any order) for the negative keyword to filter it out. It doesn't act like regular broad match type in which, your ad may show if a search term contains any of your keyword terms.

For example, -ve keyword such:- blue car will filter out search queries like:-

Blue fast car
buy a blue car

But it will still trigger search queries like:-
Buy a car
blue vehicle

In your case a -ve keyword such -how to, will prevent both 'how to paint a fence' and 'how much to paint a fence'? . Why also the second phrase?  because it has both the words "how" and "to".

The way to get around this is to use phrase -ve match type -"how to" (put the -ve keyword between 2 quotation marks).  This match type works similarly to traditional search terms in that it will exclude the phrase in the same order. Therefore, it will only block 'how to paint a fence', and it won't affect 'how much to paint a fence'?.

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Adam,

'How to paint a fence' may not be converting, as users may be looking for a tutorial and not necessarily a painter, where as 'how much to paint a fence' indicates the user is looking for a painter. I'd suggest removing the first keyword instead of adding it as a negative or use the entire term as an exact negative - [how to paint a fence]. Further, I'd suggest having keywords like: +fence +painter & +fence +painting +charges. This would target users looking for a painter.

Hope that clarifies!

- Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for the reply Sumanth.

For sure I see where you're coming from with regards to the user intent of the kw's.

There's actually a whole stack of kw phrases that I'm showing for related to 'how to' (tutorial related intent) that I need to block. I already have the big ones as exact match negative.

But I can't really account for all the long tails unless I check every week and add them as they come up.

Instead I'm looking for a blanket approach to block any phrase that contains 'how to' (no words in between them.

So if I had 'how to' as a negative, will it block 'how much to'?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adam C
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Adam,

In case of -ve broad match type keywords, every word in your negative keywords has to appear in the user's search queries (in any order) for the negative keyword to filter it out. It doesn't act like regular broad match type in which, your ad may show if a search term contains any of your keyword terms.

For example, -ve keyword such:- blue car will filter out search queries like:-

Blue fast car
buy a blue car

But it will still trigger search queries like:-
Buy a car
blue vehicle

In your case a -ve keyword such -how to, will prevent both 'how to paint a fence' and 'how much to paint a fence'? . Why also the second phrase?  because it has both the words "how" and "to".

The way to get around this is to use phrase -ve match type -"how to" (put the -ve keyword between 2 quotation marks).  This match type works similarly to traditional search terms in that it will exclude the phrase in the same order. Therefore, it will only block 'how to paint a fence', and it won't affect 'how much to paint a fence'?.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
+1 on Ahmed's suggestion. Phrase negative is the solution for this.
Sumanth Sridhar

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks both, I got it!