AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

negative keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys.

My keyword is epos software

On keywword epos software is the keyword software negative or not?

in this case +epos +software or "epos software" i need to add negative keywords?

Thank you for your helping.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author kos t
September 2015

Re: negative keywords

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello, kos t.

It is not that simple, because match types are also important. If you want to target epos software, but exclude software alone, then you can do the following:

- use -[software] as an exact match negative keyword
- use "epos software" to target all search phrases which include "epos software" in them, and anything before or after that
- use +epos +software (modified broad match) to target all of the above and also close variations of the terms epos and software, which must include both epos and software
- use epos software (broad match) to target your keyword, similar phrases and relevant variations
- finally, use +epos software in order to obtain a mix of the two above (close variations of the epos, if anu, and similar phrases to software and relevant variations)

More on it here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6324?hl=en

I strongly advise you NOT to run AdWords campaigns until you are very clear with which keyword triggers (or blocks) what.

In your example above, +epos +software should not trigger for software alone and neither should "epos software". But you might want to watch the search terms they may bring you and stock your ad group with negative keywords after your ads run for a while.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello kos,

If "epos software" is within the campaign under broad match then there is a risk that the "software" part of the keyword is going to generate irrelevant traffic for you. If you include -software as a negative keyword however then it's going to prevent your keyword "epos software" from being active. So the solution is to focus on the match type, if you have "epos software" in phrase and exact match for example you will have no problems as they are targeted enough not to produce irrelevant traffic.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author kos t
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello, kos t.

It is not that simple, because match types are also important. If you want to target epos software, but exclude software alone, then you can do the following:

- use -[software] as an exact match negative keyword
- use "epos software" to target all search phrases which include "epos software" in them, and anything before or after that
- use +epos +software (modified broad match) to target all of the above and also close variations of the terms epos and software, which must include both epos and software
- use epos software (broad match) to target your keyword, similar phrases and relevant variations
- finally, use +epos software in order to obtain a mix of the two above (close variations of the epos, if anu, and similar phrases to software and relevant variations)

More on it here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6324?hl=en

I strongly advise you NOT to run AdWords campaigns until you are very clear with which keyword triggers (or blocks) what.

In your example above, +epos +software should not trigger for software alone and neither should "epos software". But you might want to watch the search terms they may bring you and stock your ad group with negative keywords after your ads run for a while.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
What abou keyword epos is negative or not?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Again it depends on match type:

- exact: will only block the search term epos
- phrase + broad will block anything containing epos