Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

negative keywords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

I have business of different color of hats and my negative keyword is red hat.

I want to use red hat as a negative so can i use "red" as a negative or [red] or red

please suggest.

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: negative keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mann,

I'm not sure I fully understand. Are you using 'red hat' as an example of a positive or targeted keyword or a negative? Negative keywords are used to tell Google when NOT to show your ads. By using negative keywords, you will be eliminating impressions for irrelevant search queries.  

Depending on how large your account is or how many products you have, you can use negatives to direct your traffic accordingly.

So for instance:

Campaign #1 All Hats

Ad Group 1 - Red Hats
Keywords: red hats, [buy red hat], "red hat price"
Ad Group Negative Keyword - blue 

Ad Group 2 - Blue Hats
Keywords: blue hats, [buy blue hat], "blue hat price"

Ad Group Negative Keyword - red

By using the term 'red' as a negative keyword in the blue campaign and vise versa with with blue as a negative in the red campaign, you'll ensure that your traffic for red hats will only see ads for red hats and the same for the blue hats campaign.

You'll want to make sure that you plan out your campaigns ahead of time and be very careful in adding these negative keywords and that they are at the proper level.  In my example, you would want to implement these negatives at the ad group level because they will only really be addressing ad group level issues.

However, you can still use some negatives at the campaign or account level too.  Terms like 'free' for instance are often blocked at the account (via shared lists) or campaign level as you may never want to show ads when users are searching for 'free hats'.

I hope this helps and if I've missed your point, please elaborate and we'll try again. Smiley Happy

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Manav
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Tommy,

Thanks for your reply.

Campaign #1 All Hats
Ad Group 1 - Red Hats
Keywords: red hats, [buy red hat], "red hat price"
Ad Group Negative Keyword - blue

So can i use the negative term blue like this :- broad match (blue) or exact match[blue] or phrase "blue"

Ad Group 2 - Blue Hats
Keywords: blue hats, [buy blue hat], "blue hat price"

Ad Group Negative Keyword - red

So can i use the negative term red like this :- broad match (red) or exact match[red] or phrase "red"

Thanks
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Mann,

If I may jump in here, what Tommy explained above, he meant the same i.e. in blue ad group, add red broad as negative so that anything related to red is not shown by Adwords from your blue ad group and vice versa for the Red ad group. This would help ensure in keeping the traffic flow somewhat the way you want and the ad you want to get displayed.

My couple cents!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Pankaj and Tommy

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello Pankaj Bhai,

Ho can i contact you directly.

Thanks

llRe: negative keywords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Campaign #1 All Hats

Ad Group 1 - Red Hats

Ad Group 2 - Blue Hats

Both example are correct. Suppose if you don't want to target children hat then you can set "children hat" as a campaign level but make sure use whole keyword in phrase or exact match because:

If you use 'children' & 'hat' in to negative list then all your ads which contains children and hat will not show with hat query, you have to use children+hat negative keyword combination in to exact or phrase.

Re: llRe: negative keywords

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Pushpendra wrote:

Campaign #1 All Hats

Ad Group 1 - Red Hats

Ad Group 2 - Blue Hats

Both example are correct. Suppose if you don't want to target children hat then you can set "children hat" as a campaign level but make sure use whole keyword in phrase or exact match because:

If you use 'children' & 'hat' in to negative list then all your ads which contains children and hat will not show with hat query, you have to use children+hat negative keyword combination in to exact or phrase.

Hi Pushpendra,

This is a bit of a different example, but I would suggest that if you did not offer any children's hats at all, then you use children, children's, child, youth etc...all as single broad Account/Campaign level negatives.  There is really no need to specify every single search term that includes children when you can eliminate them all by adding a handful of negatives higher up on the account hierarchy right?

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: llRe: negative keywords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Yes, I also favor your comments.