6.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

negative keywords not being respected

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm using broad match negative keywords, and as an example I have 'salaries' as a broad match. When I review my search queries, I'm still seeing 'salaries' show up in search queries such as 'billing clerk salaries'. I have probably about 5-10 keywords that are showing up in this way, and it is costing quite a bit on wasted clicks that should never have happened.

Any thoughts as to why my negative keywords aren't being respected?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: negative keywords not being respected

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

There are two options available for adding negative keywords, ad group level & campaign level so choose carefully and also ensure add one negative keyword per line and save it.

Regards

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Hardie,

By any chance are you viewing Campaign level keywords Search Term Report where as you have added the negative keyword at a particular AdGroup level

Preeti

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have them entered on a campaign level

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
If everything is okey then there is another way to fix this issue.

Are you using broad search or modified broad search for your keywords?
Please give me example of your keywords.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
What about the dates of report?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello,

In addition, I would like to say that you should be looking at the keywords (positive) and match types that you are using inside your account. As you might be aware of the fact that exact and phrase match type keywords does include their variations as well that includes misspellings, synonyms etc.

So you should first figure out with which particular keywords, your search terms are getting matched where AdWords is considering salaries to be relevant. Based on that you might need to tweak the keywords that are being used inside the account.

Also, apart from campaign and ad group level, you also have the option to build negative keywords list inside shared library so that you can use it for multiple campaigns.

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
broad match. ie. 'medical billing', which is triggering the 'billing clerk salaries' query despite the 'salaries' campaign wide negative keyword

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Broad match means if any of word of your keyword searched your add will show up so to ensure you get the right exposure to your ads please use modified search type

Just add + before you keyword
i.e 'medical billing" change it to "+medical +billing"
buy a new phone change it to +buy +a +new +phone
When modified broad search is used this means your ad will online show if all words of the keyword are included.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497828?hl=en

Open the link and scroll down to know more about modified broad match and how to control broad match using modified broad type.

Kinyal

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
that will work in the one example I showed as medical isn't present, but that still doesn't solve why my negative keywords aren't being respected.
If salaries is a negative broad match, it should filter out any query that contains salaries. I shouldn't need to adjust my positive keywords to account for my negative keywords appearing in the queries I'm being billed for.