2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

negative keywords issue

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello everyone. I have a question about the negative keywords list. Is it a good idea to include my competitors company names as negative key word? Is this going to improve my CTR and eventually lead to more calls?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: negative keywords issue

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Nora,

That would be very polite and an indication of good manners. Unless the competitor is famous and often searched for, I don't think it will have any significant impact on your metrics or stats.

Best,

Lakatos

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello NoraA,

Welcome to the community.

It's actually interesting to see your perspective as advertisers generally have the theory to include their competitors names as keywords in an attempt to divert potential customers to their own website and business. It is good that you are considering your CTR and I would personally agree that on average you are likely to see an improvement in this by excluding your competitors; you won't receive more calls however as you are actually reducing traffic rather than trying to take the additional traffic from your competitors. 

At the same time I doubt it is unlikely you would need to include competitor names as negative keywords unless your company has a similar name to theirs.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

But if the competior is very famous and can be found even in google trends for the particular Kw, is it good to include their company name as negative. Are customers less likely to click on my add if they search one of mine competitors,IF yes including his name as negative Kw should lead to better Ctr?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Improvement in CTR may lead to better QS and if your budget is limited the loss of traffic won`t be such problem if this means cheaper clicks.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Positive, Nora. Users searching for a brand name would rarely click on your ad, therefore you had better not show it to them.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks a lot. I will try it since i am trying to advertise for the kw "mover" which is really expensive and my daily budget is about 30$ so I can afford 3 or 4 clicks a day. I will see if this will affect the Avg position of my ads and CPC.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Well done, Nora. Avoid conflict with names and try to list more specific keywords. Since the budget is low, apply exact match keywords only, favorably with geo-modifiers...Robot LOL

Example: [cheap movers in manhattan]

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have already included geo-modifiers but in phrase match as  "san antonio movers". If the long list of negative key words does not help I will try with exact match.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Sounds good, Nora. Another tip is to restrict the geo-target as much as possible, I'd likely use zip+25mi.