AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

negative keywords blocking searches?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey All,

Is it possible to run a report to see if any of the negative keywords are blocking relevent searches that might lead to conversions? The account I work with has quite a few campaigns and a huge list of negative keywords for each campaign. So I'm not quite sure how to manage the negative keywords.

Thanks,

Curtis

Re: negative keywords blocking searches?

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

The adwords editor is a great tool. If you are targeting an excluded KW, then you will get a yellow icon that let's you know before you post your changes. You could select all the KW's in a campaign/adgroup, pause them and see if the yellow (or red) icon appears, then just click "revert selected changes" (after selecting all KW's) before you post anything. Nothing will change in your account because the editor is all offline. If you are not yet using the adwords editor, definitely download it and play with it a bit. It will at least help to visualize the adwords account in a different way. Smiley Happy

There are options to apply filters within the UI, but I have campaigns where every targeted (broad/phrase match) KW is excluded (exact negative), and the "excluded" filter doesn't seem to work for this purpose (or at least I can't seem to figure it out). Maybe someone else knows of a report, or how to apply the filter properly within the UI and they will create a wiki post showing us both how to do it? Smiley Happy

Tom

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

If there are any negative keywords blocking keywords from being shown, you will see a clear message in the interface the online Adwords website) with a link. Upon clicking a link you will see a table, in the left columh it will show the negative keyword and in the right column it will show th keywords it's affecting.

If no such message is visible, you should be fine.

Hope this helps.

Ryan.

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

The embedded negative match strategy is one I use often, but not all of those accounts show such an error message....

Is there an option to select somewhere in the UI where you can opt into that warning?

It does seem to happen more for newer than older accounts. Could the age of the account play a role in whether the message gets displayed ot not?

Tom