Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

negative keywords and plurals

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am somewhat confused on the topic of negative keywords and am hoping someone can help.

Lets say I have two keywords which are in Ad Groups of the same name as follows:

1. Grey Sofa

2. Grey Sofas

and when I run keyword diagnostics it tells me that the keyword grey sofa is triggering the ad in grey sofas and that I don't want this to happen as I want my most relevant ad to be triggered.

So if I add the negative broadmatch keyword grey sofa at ad group level to grey sofas, will this prevent any ads from showing for grey sofas? Or will it just prevent searches for grey sofa from triggerin the wrong ad which is what I am hoping to achive?

Or is there an entirely better way to acheive my objective?

I look forward to your thoughts...

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: negative keywords and plurals

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi there,

To answer your question I will say, if you adding singular and plural both keywords you need to have negative keyword strategy at first place. Although it depends on the match type and including matching option at campaign level settings.

you dont need to add whole keyword in negative. Just add sofa in adgroup sofas and vice versa.

I found one thread where you can find many suggestions by great contributors:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/Plural-and-singular-variations/td-p...

If you have more question, let us know.

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’