2.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

metro area vs. cities

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

currently we run national campagins targeting metro areas. The larger metros with more demand make us hit our budget very early on before the smaller metros reach their desired target. Would we get better results if we ran our ads trgeting cities or radius's instead of metros? 

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: metro area vs. city trageting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello steves; Welcome to AdWords community;

I understand from your question that your campaign is targeting the USA. (The only country, "metro level" targeting is available);

In the US, Geo-targeting is quite advanced (though, not perfect). It can be reached up to a zip code level

My answer would be: YES. Target the geographic area, where you are running your business.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: metro area vs. cities

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Steves,

We used to make numerous experiments regarding this question, on behalf of a large national client. Some metros have very irregular shapes and some even cross US State borders, these are the exceptions. Otherwise, in general, metro level advertising proved the most fruitful for us. Additionally, I'd exclude very small Metros, say the ones below 0.5M pop.

SF-Oakland-San Jose Metro proved a better geotarget than any of the individual cities. NY Metro proved better than NYC. Denver Metro proved better for our purposes than Denver City, etc.

On a related note, the clients intention was (and *is*) to cover the entire US. The real question in our case was where we should be starting so as expenses won't sky-rocket and so as we could accrue some extra capital before widening our geo-targets.

Best,

Lakatos