Guide Me
star_border

low CTR and low position

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Here's a real newbie question that just occured to me:

Is it better to diable keywords that might have a good QS but where the bids are so competitive that you'll only rank 5 - 10.

My point is that 5 -10 will receive few clicks due to their ranking and as such will devalueate QS over time.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: low CTR and low position

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good afternoon, hottahotta - 

No, I would not say it's "better" to remove keywords just because you can't afford to bid for top of the page positioning for those ads. Not at all. You might get fewer clicks in position 5 but--this is the important thing--if the keyword is one that drives high quality traffic for you, you'll be happy to get those clicks, right?

Just because you can't afford to bid for all of the traffic there is doesn't mean you can't make the best of the traffic you can afford. Just make sure your landing pages are as good as you can make them, so that the clicks you do get have the highest potential to convert!

P.S. Google does adjust for positioning. That is, the system knows that an ad in position one gets more clicks than an ad in position five. The software takes that into account when using CTR as a measure of quality. 

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

completely agree with Thereza.

I would also add that if you see an average position of 5. it might not necessarily mean that you are always appearing on position 5 for 100 impressions. You might also be appearing 19 times on position 9, 34 times on position 8, 10 times on position 2 and 37 times on first position (highly unlikely but theoretically possible).

This allows google to rate ads and if your visitors react positively to your ad, google might decide to keep this ratio rule or increase the position gap...

I suggest you go on your keyword report after a several days (say 8-10 days), check top vs other and see if you can see some data for "top position"... If you do, it means google shows your ad sometimes on the top... and if you see that CTR and conversion rates are high when displayed at the top, I would suggest you increase your bid to gain more top position as this is a sign that your KWhas high ROI potential and will always perform well when appearing the top...

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

And, let me repeat, therre's no need to get worried because your ads are not always in the top position(s).

Increasing bids to maximize top of page performance is fine--if the advertiser can afford it. It's not a requirement. It can be expensive to bid for those slots and it if pushes your campaign ROI down too far, you might wind up making sales but losing money.

What you need to do, hottahotta, is to identify the keywords and ads that convert at the bids you can afford and then, as I said before, make the best use of those.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*