4.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

location targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

location targeting - how exactly does this work?

if i select certian locations to target - does it rank my ad higher for people in this area who are searching?

does it exclude other areas that are not on my targetting list?

i know i can exclude countries from my targeted area - but how about whole continents? it would take forever to name all the countries.

if i use the raduis location targetting option, how does google know where my searcher is based? if it is only done on where there ISP is based, then this is not very helpful.  does it only work for seraching on mobile?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by JulianaS (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: location targeting

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Melody-

Location targeting allows you to select the countries or regions in which you would like to show your ads. We will only show your ads for the locations you are targeting. Anything else outside of the area you are targeting is not eligible to see you ad unless the user indicates a location of interest in their search.

At this time, you are unable to exclude entire continents but can fortunately still add individual countries. IPs are one method we use to match ads to geographic locations but also use location of interest, device location (mobile) and Google domains amongst others. 

Learn more here about how ads are matched. I hope this helps! 

Juliana S. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thanks heaps! this is very helpful. how does 'Google domains' work?

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Every country has a unique URL or Google domain, and this helps us determine the searchers' location (Example: Canada, google.ca).