AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

location targeting for different ad groups

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi. I have set up a campaign targeted around a city, however within that campaign I would also like to set up another ad group targeting somewhere else. For example -

Lets say my campaign is set to target London with keywords such as +houses +to +buy, +flats +to +rent. 

However I now want a different ad group that has keywords such as "flats to rent in London", "London flat rentals" for the rest of the UK, making sure the term "London" is in every keyword. That way I don't lose out on "London flat rentals" from someone in say, Liverpool, looking for a London flat Smiley Happy 

Hope someone can help!

Thanks. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: location targeting for different ad groups

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi There;

If you are Geo-targeting London you don't need to target London also by intent. (Adding "London" as part of the keyword) - That would be a redundancy;

I would target a location by intent only if it is a small town / city/ suburb...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Phil, as Moshe has said, AdWords Advanced Targeting options allows you to choose how the targeting works.  The default setting is to target both people in your targeted area (so, people Google considers to be living in London) and people searching for things in your targeted area, i.e. someone in Liverpool searching for a flat in London.  So, if you haven't changed this default setting, simply targeting London will already be doing what you want.

However, you might still want to split into two (or more) Campaigns anyway for budget control purposes.  If you use a single Campaign you might find that people outside London search a lot for properties there but rarely convert (whatever you're using as a conversion) while people in London convert more frequently.  By splitting the Campaigns you can control your spend in these separate types of search.

To do this you'll want to change the London targeted Campaign advanced settings so that it targets only the the people in your targeted area.  You'd then create a second Campaign - I'd suggest you target this to the UK and again set it to target only people within the UK, not those outside - and in this Campaign you'd use your London based Keywords.

These two Campaigns set up like will potentially compete with each other since someone in London who uses a London Keyword may be matched by Keywords in either Campaign.  This is no big problem for AdWords, but you might want to think about your match types and negative Keywords to control which Campaign gets which sort of query.

In time you may want to target other countries as well but watch out for London, Ontario Smiley Happy

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hmm...interesting suggestion by Jon ( @Jon_Gritton );

@ Jon

If the OP goes with 2 campaigns -  could  another solution be, to target by intent only ("people searching about my location" ), assuming those will be  UK residents only?  (And by doing so, you could avoid adding   "London" in the keyword)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks a lot for the helpful responses! I didn't realise Google's default setting included people 'searching for viewing pages about your targeted location'. I recently removed the location from the keyword and was confused why impressions decreased so much (I had it on broad match modifier so assumed I didn't need to). Now I know it was because a lot of impressions would have been from people searching my keywords from elsewhere in the country. 

Is there also a way I can make it UK only or is that also the default setting? That way I can exclude towns and cities from other countries that share a similar name to the cities I want to target. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Phil, Moshe & Cobnut,

Interresting question where i can share my experience.
This is true that Google is targetting where people are living and what there are searching, but when there is not specific targetting. If you advertise in UK about a flat in London, you'll have everyone in London and people in UK looking for a flatr in London, which seems correct as a flat in London can be searched by anyone need one...
In your case if you want to exclude London for anyreason, just exclude it from you geotargetting.

My point is, and i'd really wish Google to change that, is that GeoTargetting is a campaign level setting.
In my case, i manage adwords campaign for a Resorts based in Mauritius. When i make my campaign, i'd wish to have the same architecture than in my sales (offline) organisation.
Let say my Zone2 is France, Belgium, Spain. I'd like to have a campaign Zone2, and being able to set up each ad group correctly (language, geo targetting). But i can't!
Like in my case you reach multiple countries, you can reach very qyuickly your number of campains limit...

Please Google, make something for us. Sometime we have worldwide (or regional) campaign and we need flexibility.