5.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

location exclusion

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to get better value for money from my ad spend.

I have two specific areas that I target ( Franchisee with specific ares to work in ).

I notice by reading the 'dimensions' reports about search location, that I am paying for searches made by people not only thousands of miles away from me ( China, Melbourne Australia etc ) but also locations that are fairly near to my chosen area, but are in fact outside of my area so I cant sell my service to them.

So I want to be able to target my ad spend better, and exclude people who are outside my area & are not trying to search about my service, in my area. But I don't want to exclude anyone who is ( for example ) in their office in London or Brighton, but searching for my Domestic Cleaning Services inside my areas of operation where they live.

I've struggled with this because Google is not very good at recognising local areas in London suburbs. This is especially annoying, when those areas have very specific identifying-postcodes & you would expect Google to allow exclusion or inclusion according to an area that has its owns postcode. For one of my areas ( 100,000 population ! ) it only allows me to choose 'London' but does not recognise the area of 'Bromley'. Not very precise location settings ! :-)

If anyone can help me with this it would be great

Many Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: location exclusion

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello ,

Have you setup the "Location options ( advanced) "  to the second option like in this picture ?location-options-advanced.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

Yes I saw that, but  I thought I would go for the last one 'searching for or viewing pages about my target location'.

Thinking that this allows people who are at work in a central-london office to search for a cleaning service in the suburb they live in, but not for someone wanting a generic 'london' cleaner or anyone just searching for 'cleaner' as I dont 'cover' the whole of london. I also get dozens of overseas based clicks & hae setup  an excluded country list to deal with those.

Do you think I am doing the right thing ?

Is there some place where I can send a 'wish-list' of places I want Google to add to their list of locations in London ?

Some surprisingly large areas with specific postcodes are, according to Google, unknown.

thanks again

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello there;;

You are correct;. We have noticed that location targeting in the UK is not perfect - to say the least,...

One of our UK-based Top Contributors, Jon, (aka cobnut) has been struggling with that. I will ask him to comment;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Maybe using places name in Ad copies will help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That would be good. Looking forward to Jon's input

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, we do that in many ads already.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Teresa G
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi there, sorry for the delay in replying, it's entirely my fault.

As Moshe has already said, geographical targeting is quite unreliable in the UK and it becomes increasingly so as you try to target smaller and smaller areas.  Believe me, no amount of emailing or commenting on that situation will change things any more rapidly than they would anyway, so we have to live with it for now.  Part of the problem is that it's actually beyond Google's control, for the most part.

What I tend to recommend is a combination of targeting methods and in your case I'd use more than one Campaign to get decent coverage.  

The first Campaign I'd use the Location Settings to target a good radius covering your serviced area (Bromley, maybe Chislehurst?).  It's important here to get the Advanced settings right and for these you'll want to set the Target to "People in my targeted location".  The Exclude setting is irrelevant because you're not excluding anything on this Campaign.  Within the Campaign structure I'd use multiple Ad Groups, some of which target generic terms for your business and others of which include location terms.  All your Ads should include location terms.

This Campaign will only target people that Google believes to be actually in the radius so, as you've said, you'll also want to target people outside the radius, but who may have properties within it they need servicing.  I'd use a similar Ad Group and Keyword structure, but only use Keywords with location based terms e.g. +home +cleaning +Bromley, and I'd use the Location targeting to pick out other radii or locations outside of London.

This is going to take some experimentation and planning to get right but the important thing really here is to use as many Campaigns as you need to to get good control over the spending.  You'll probably find the AdWords Editor (a free offline program for editing AdWords Accounts) a useful tool as it will allow you to "cut and paste" Campaigns multiple times and then just change the location targeting, budgets, etc.

Even if you can get a really good location targeting setup, you are always going to get clicks outside of your serviced area (well, at least until we can pinpoint people by GPS) and you'll have to treat these clicks as you would any other click that doesn't lead to a sale; they have to be factored into the equation of AdWords performance.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK, thats an interesting approach. I will take a look at doing that.

On the basis that as a company the principals, as well as the franchisee's are using the same adwords account, with separate campaigns within the account ( to avoid bidding against each other ), I guess, that having multiple location based campaigns means the chances of bidding for words where the searcher is outside of your area is much smaller, once you have the campaign settings correct.

I am thinking therefore of using a separate adword account with my own exclusive campaigns, with lots of location based keywords.Any thoughts on whether that would ensure no bidding against my colleagues ?

Cheers

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

In principle It would;

However, since we are not quite familiar with the structure of the business (e.g does each franchise have its own website) - I would suggest that you review the double serving section of the Policy, to verify that it is not violated;

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2600168?hl=en#

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’