5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

length of time necessary to evaluate keyword performance

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How long a period of time is appropriate to evaluate the effectiveness of a keyword?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: length of time necessary to evaluate keyword performance

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Google typically recommends 30 days as the bare minimum but I know as PPC managers we dont have that much time to test so i say with 2 weeks of data you are okay to make some adjustments.

Hope this helps.

PPC Sophie

PPCSophie

Re: length of time necessary to evaluate keyword performance

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi jackphyllis,

It really depends on the amount of traffic you get, not on the number of days. Google doesn't adjust your quality scores for keywords based on CTR in your account until they reach 1000 impressions. That might be a good place to start. But the more important metric is conversions.

The question would be how many conversions do you need to detemine if the keyword is performing well. That can be predicted using a formula for statistic significance. Try this one: http://getdatadriven.com/ab-significance-test

You enter the number of impressions and conversions for 2 variations. A test set of numbers indicates that you will need at least 8 conversions for those 1000 impressions to be reasonably sure you can repeat that performance.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords