Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

landing page experiments

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I am trying to set up an experiment to test two different versions of a landing page. i understood the easiest way to do this is in google analytics experiments. however, the two versions have two different goals, because the lead form is set up differently, and anakytics won't let you set up two goals for an experiement.

how can i test which of these lead forms are better performing?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: landing page experiments

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Yitzchok,
You are making a very fundamental mistake here. Content experiments or A/B tests are to test two versions of the SAME page. If your goals are different, they are not the same page. You need to reassess what you are testing.

You want to go to the city. You can test what gets you there better, a car or a train. You cannot test a car and a TV. The TV simply wont get you to the city. Make sense?

Content experiments allow you to test two versions of something, they don't look at two different things and optimize them for you.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Yitzchok,

Dave is right you are making a biggest mistake here by running the experiments for pages having different goals. Different goals mean different landing pages.

To run content experiment or A/B testing you have to make sure that the versions of landing page you are testing have same goal. So that it can decide which version wins based on one particular goal.

Check out the links bellow to see more about running experiments:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1745147?hl=en
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1745152?hl=en

Thanks,
Nouman

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thanks dave and nouman for your replies,
maybe i didn't explain myself properly, i will try to explain why i want it to work this way.
i am testing different versions of the same landing page, but one of the variations i want to test is setting up the goal differently.
the website in question is for lead generation, and i want to test what type of lead form gets more submissions, so i set up two versions of a landing page one with a link leading to a lead form and another with the form set up on the same page.
so essentialy it is the same goal i am trying to test on both versions, only technicaly the goal is set up differently (one is set up in analytics a an event the other as a thank you page view.
please comment if you have any ideas for this.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Yitzchok,

I got your point but Google Analytics will not let you run this because the goals of both versions are different. For you and me it looks same but for Analytics its different so your have to run experiments in a way that your both Landing page versions have same goals set up in Google Analytics. (for example both should have event base goal or thank you page view. )

Thanks,
Nouman