AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

landing page: effect of #-structure?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

We had to change the theme of our site, which resulted in a change of the site structure as well. Now my question is:

If I chose this page as a landing page (www.gncdubai.com/doctors/#gallery-details-1721), how will the AdBots react?

Will they realize that the content is actually on this page: www.gncdubai.com/doctors/dubai-neurologist-dk ? Or will they think that there is no content on the landing page as the parent page www.gncdubai.com/doctors conatains no content?

Thanks for any help...

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: landing page: effect of #-structure?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi

I don't think content of parents directly would be a problem as long as your landing page has the necessary information related to your ad copy.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Do the AdBots understand this structure?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
nobody?

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi there,

Thanks for your post. 

From an AdWords perspective, you need to ensure that the display URL in your ad, matches the destination URL that your ad leads to. Essentially this means that if the display URL of your ad is www.gncdubai.com, your destination URL must also lead to ww.gncdubai.com, but it can be any page on that website. The important part is gncdubai.com - those two elements (the second level domain [gncdubai] and the top level domain [.com]) must remain the same. For example, you can't use gncdubai.com as your display URL and gncdubai.ae as your destination URL - as the top level domain is different. Similarly, you can't use gncdubai.com as your display URL and gncdubai.doctors.com as your destination URL - as the second level domain is different. 

I'd also bear the AdWords Bridge Page policy in mind. A bridge page is also known as a doorway page and is a webpage created for the main purpose of sending visitors to a different site.  More information about the Bridge Page policy can be found here: http://goo.gl/167QLI .

Your original post mentioned Ad Bots. I think you're referring to Organic Listings. Our Community here tends to focus on AdWords queries, so it might be a good idea to post your question on the Webmaster Tools Form also. A link to the forum is here: http://goo.gl/Kj7h4

I hope this helps! 

Rachel

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Dear Rachel,

thanks for the reply. To your points:

1. The display URL in our ad matches the destination URL
2. we are not using a Bridge Page
3. AdBots: if I understand it right, there seems to be difference between Google bots used for Adwords and Google bots used for organic search. Right?

Checking how a Google bot in organic search sees the URL www.gncdubai.com/doctors/#gallery-details-1721 on Webmaster Tools:
www.gncdubai.com/doctors/#gallery-details-1721 is not recognized and redirected to www.gncdubai.com/doctors/
www.gncdubai.com/doctors/ is recognized/rendered but it has none of the content of www.gncdubai.com/doctors/#gallery-details-1721 on it!

Assuming that an Adbot would work the same way, the Adbot is not able to see the page www.gncdubai.com/doctors/#gallery-details-1721 AT ALL. This should result in a bad QS and other consequences.

Could this be true?

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee
Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. If the Google bot can't read your pages, then I imagine it won't be good for QS. However, QS is made up of many different factors (e.g CTR, ad relevance), and landing page experience makes up only one component.

I can navigate to both pages above, so as long as users can see the content when they click on your ads, it should be ok. As such, if you want people to see the content on www.gncdubai.com/doctors/#gallery-details-1721, you should use it in your ads and direct traffic there.

I hope this helps!