2.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, when i started my adwords campaign my quality score was between 7-8 except when i added suggestions from google which they scored at 10, unfortunately the quality score has now dropped to between 4-6. What can i do to improve things? Would it be better to reduce the amount of keywords so the budget could be more or does it not work that way?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: keywords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
According to Google's engineers, those thing keep on fluctuating depending on various different factors, including the user behavior of your keywords and your website.

Note, that quality score measures by keyword, so, erducing the amount wont necessarily help, but dividing the keywords and putting them in more tailored adgroups may help you at large.

Also, make sure that the ad title is helpful to the user searching for the Keyword, since more general keywords may often see lower QS.

Keep improving and things will improve.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The inital QS - be it high or low - is rarely the settling point. It's assigned on a keyword-by-keyword basis. If you aren't already, keep your keywords in smaller Adgroups (10-15 terms per Adgroup) and a single theme for the keywords in each Adgroup. Look at the relevance of the Ad copy to each low-scoring keyword and the relevance of the landing page to each keyword.

Re: keywords initial QS

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello;

The initial QS you are granted is based on other advertises' QS for this KW. (Actually, to be precise, based on the specific match type QS of the KW,)

When you reach 1000 impressions your campaign CTR (for each KW) starts to "kick in, and the QS is based on your actual campaign performance - mainly CTR.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi there,

Some good ideas from the Community there, thanks! 

To add to the replies, when you add a new keyword to your account it is given the industry average quality score. It is then up to your individual performance to increase the quality score for your account. 

It is a good idea to have around 20/30 keywords in tightly themed ad groups to ensure relevancy. Please see this article for more information about structuring your account. 

I hope this helps!

Rachel

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Rachel, Can you also explain to me how the more and more commonly seen  2/10 at start ups, can be the industral average.

(especially since QS is supposed to be relative too, it would be more logic to be around 4-6 Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

The "Industrial Average" she was refering to, is a metric based upon the usual CTR of keywords in the industry and some additional factors. (See MosheTLV's post above).

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

JayB thanks for answering, but it is not realy answering my question on the 2/10 QS.

It is near to impossible to have the lowest value as an average.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
It can possibly be the answer, being that this keyword has historically not performed in the industry, for example a model number that has never been searched in the industry may often be seen as irrelevant by the QS Algo, but will adjust itself over time.

Hope this one does help.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I am afraid not , those will start as low search not low quality