AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

2.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

After talking with a Google representative by phone for about an hour one suggestion he made to decrease costs is to delete a lot of my keywords. I followed his advice and deleted nearly every keyword that mentioned electrician in it (service electrician, commercial electrician, 24 hour electrician etc) as he said all i was doing is competing against my self! My KW list for that particular campaign has gone from about 80 to 25. One of the words that i deleted was "electrician" itself (his recommendation) which was also, unsurprisingly, my highest ranking KW.

My problem now is that i feel that my KW list is far to small and narrow. 

If i search for a plumber for arguments sake, i normally would enter "plumber" followed by either the suburb that im in or a particular type of service-emergency for example. My point is that if im looking for a plumber the word "plumber" is going to come up in my search term somewhere.

With hardly any KW phrases with the word electrician in them how is someone meant to find me?? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jonny, welcome to the Community.

As they say, it's not the size that matters, it's what you do with it.  An AdWords Campaign can be very effective with just 1 Keyword, or it might need 1000, it's entirely up to the market and the purpose of the advertising.

I'll admit I'm not sure what the rep meant about competing with yourself; perhaps they were referring to multiple broad matches.  A "simple" broad match, such as service electrician can match either word against a search term - it doesn't require both.  So if you had two Keywords, service electrician and  commercial electrician, both simple broad matches, they could both match against a search for local electrician because they can both match against "electrician" only.  In truth Google will pick the "best" option to match against so it's not a problem as such, but it might mean you're not making the best use of the terms.  For example, "service electrician" should really trigger Ads about Service Electricians and lead to a web page about servicing.

IF you were using simple broad matches, to be honest the better advice would have been just to switch these Keywords to a more restrictive match type such as Phrase (where the words are enclosed in quotes) or Modified Broad Match (where each term is immediately preceeded by a + sign, e.g. "service electrician" or +service +electrician.  Phrase matches require that both words appear in the search term in the order specified whereas Modified Broad Matches require both words but they can be in any order and can have other words between them.

So, without knowing more about your Account, my advice would be to replace those terms as one (or both - it doesn't matter) of these more restrictive matches and do so in their own Groups so you can have Ads tailored to the terms and landing pages.  

How are you targeting your Ads geographically?  Have you used Location Targeting?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

You can try using negative keywords which you can find in your "search term reports". This will reduce the cost and also keep useful impressions maximum. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon & thanks for the reply.

As i mentioned in my original post what the rep meant was where i had multiple instances of the word "electrician" or "electricians" in my key word phrases (electrician emergency, service electrician, electrician rewire etc or electrician followed by a Sydney suburb of which i had many) he said that each time and auction took place one word would be bidding against the other. If this is really the case then i could only mention the word electrician once in a key word phrase because it would be competing against any other phrase i have!

I have set up two ad groups for electrician-one for residential and one for commercial with appropriate (i think) key words for each. I also have different campaigns for the data, automation and home theatre sides of my business.

Your advice about using Modified Broad Matches seems like a good idea and i might give that a try and see what happens.

I have all my ads targeted to an area within 25 km of Sydney and i have excluded one particular  small country town where i was getting over 50% of clicks! ( i have spoken to Google twice about this as my concerns regarding fraudulent activity were raised and they have not been able to give me a reasonable answer.).

I also already have a substantial negative KW list using the method Ujjawal M has suggested.

To be honest, i am less than impressed by how much Adwords has cost me with zero return.It is costing me about $500 a week and i cannot afford this with the level of return that i am getting. Hitting my daily budget constantly and my ads not showing means that unless i prepared to throw even more money at this my results are unlikely to improve. 

I constantly see advice on Adwords help sites and pages to target KW to a particular audience. Great if i am selling chocolate chip cookies with strawberry centers but not so useful when someone is looking for an electrician and the search term that a lot-if not most people-would enter is in fact, electrician! In this instance it would seem that only the larger companies with huge budgets would constantly rank on the first page.

Regards,

John

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Dear Jonny,

I am a fellow AdWords user from India. For the last three months I have been trying to figure out how to economise my AdWords budget while still generating relevant enquiries. I read your case with interest. I am in the same boat so I thought I will offer you an alternate way, but please know I am no expert.

a) If you are choosing "electrician" as your keyword, please know that it pretty much takes care of a lot of combinations that contain the word. Not only that, it can also trigger queries like "Good electrician in Sydney", which is what I think you want.

b) Now the moment you add on a word to a keyword, for example "sydney", you will see that the cost per click doubles. Now, since you have already chosen Sydney as your geographical area, you do not need Sydney with your keyword. It will unnecessarily jack up your cost.

c) Wherever possible, choose 2 letter keywords as they give you a lot of impressions at a reasonable cost. But first, put that keyword in the AdWords Keyword tool & see what all the keyword triggers. Drive away the ones you don't want by using negative keywords.

Why do I emphasise so much on impressions? Each impression is like a possible customer call. Who knows who will be the one who becomes your customer: the one who clicks on your ad, sees the website & goes away or the one who looks at your phone no. with your ad & calls you up? Therefore we do need a lot of impressions per day, but yes, only with a healthy list of negative keywords. And remember, these days people don't have to "click". If you have given your contact no. in the "call extension" link, you might get straight calls from people.

d) Lastly, I think the internet economy is really value driven. Unless your ad contains a "value": price, delivery time or something, no one will click your ad. Your CTR will be down & you will get into the vicious cycle of increasing your bid to increase your impressions. Also make sure you have unchecked the "google search partners" box in settings, as that needlessly drives the cost up.

All the best for your campaign. Do let me know in case these measures work.