AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

keywords - new keyword has better quality score, but is more expensive than old!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all.

I have an ad group called (for example) "Product A". In there, I have exact matches for [product a] etc. These have 10/10 scores. I have another keyword, "Product B". I get 7/10 for that at a CPC of 60p. (Around 25p to get it on the first page and 70p to get top spot).

To optimise, I created a new ad group called "product B". I put in there [product b] keyword and got a 10/10 score. The cost to get it on the first page however is £4.50. 

Is this because adwords sees it as a new keyword with no history? I have paused it for now as there's no point running that vs my much cheaper one for the same product keyword!! 

any thoughts? 

Re: keywords - new keyword has better quality score, but is more expensive than old!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Adcjlt,

You are right, this is the new keyword with no CTR history, so google is showing higher bid. Don't pause that just set the cheaper old bid what you have set in old ad group.

Your First page current bid which is (£4.50) will automativally came down.

Regards

-Vicky

Re: keywords - new keyword has better quality score, but is more expensive than old!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply. So I should have both keywords active ([keyword B]) in both adgroups and have them set to the same bid amount? I tried that and I am not receiving any impressions for the Keyword B adgroup (with the 10/10 score)... the cost still shows at the higher amount. Do I have to actually bid for that amount for a few days? It'd eat my budget up! 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi adcjlt

You were already using the exact match keyword ie [pruduct b] in the ad group "Product A"..You optimize and create a new ad group "Product B" and add the exact match keyword [product b] in that ad group for which initially you were assigned a better QS but a relatively higher "est first page bid"!!

In my opinion,its not a new keyword infact its an old keyword which is an integral part of your account just moved to a new and more relevant ad copy and ad group. Though initially the keyword is assigned a QS of "10" but the moment it starts accruing impressions in the new ad group its bound to fall ( Do tell if that happened). 

The history of the keyword is intact in your account but that history is associated with a different ad group ( Product A) & different ads. The keyword will take some time to acclimatize to the new conditions ie.different ads(if you have a different ad copy) and the new ad group. As time passes the keyword will start adding on its history in the new conditions.

So,leting it run or not is your decision but don't mistake it as a new keyword..its the same keyword whose stats you reseted!! 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
I believe @mudit is correct. I had some wonky QS issues with a client of mine. The first page bid estimate might be the thing off base. I would recommend forcing google to show your newer keyword.

You could either pause/negative the keyword in the old product b ad group. Otherwise you could use geographic/dayparting settings to force it to run.