AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

keywords in paused campaigns interfering?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just set up a new campaign/ad group that contains some of the same keywords that are in an old paused campaign/ad group.  When I run the Ad Preview and Diagnostics tool for one of these keywords, I get this message: Your ad is not showing for the keyword. One of your other ads is already showing for this keyword. However, I do not have that keyword in any enabled campaign.

Since an ad for a paused campaign doesn't actually display to people searching, will it still prevent my new ad from showing as the Ad Preview and Diagnostics tool indicates?

Do I have to Delete the paused campaign in order to get the new ad to show? And if I delete the campaign, will the previous stats still display (when I select All campaigns) or will I lose that older data?

Appreciate whatever help I can get here.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Carol W
September 2015

Re: keywords in paused campaigns interfering?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Carol, I'm pretty sure the issue you're facing is not related to your Paused Campaigns/Groups.  I think it's more likely that Ads are being triggered by another - active - Keyword of a different match type; is this possible?

For example, if you were checking the Phrase matched Keyword "red shoes" and had somewhere else the Modified Broad Match of +shoe +red then, under certain performance conditions, this Keyword could be the match rather than the first.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Carol,

Kind of a long shot here, but do you have the keyword in a different match type in another campaign possibly? I'm wondering if there is another term causing the ad to fire for this reason. Like I said, a bit of a long shot.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have a similar problem but I know for sure all my previous campaigns have been removed so none of them are 'firing', but the error I am getting is implying the same keyword is being triggered for another ad. I have only set up one keyword and one ad under one ad campaign. I know for sure I have no other ads running. This is the error:
"One of your other ads is already showing for this keyword."

- any thoughts?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I found this issue as I'm am having the same issue and it IS related to paused campaigns.
My ads have been running perfectly.

I have now duplicated an Adgroup to do a split test and send traffic to another URL.
I paused the orginal group and all of the keywords inside and am getting the message

"One of your other ads is already showing for this keyword."

The are no other keywords which match the term I am typing in, except in the active adgroup.

Any help much appreciated.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
exact same problem here. only one active campaign, ad group and ad but telling me 'One of your other ads is already showing for this keyword.' infuriating