2.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

keywords in display only "Topic/Intest seperated ad groups

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have douplicate display only ad groups, seperated by Topic and Intrest Only. However, they have the same KW's ...The KW for the Topic AG may get better Conv than the same KW for the Intrest AG and Vice Versa. 

If the Display only ad groups are the same, ie same ads and KW.

Is that a Good thing? Or do they compete?

Or should I pause the KW in Topic Only side because the Same KW in the Intrest Only side  gets better results, but only for that one specific KW? Or do I let them run together regardless of the competing issue?

Thank you in advance for any advice I may receive...

Fred 

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nilsson1967
September 2015

Re: keywords in display only "Topic/Intest seperated ad groups

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Fred,

That depends on how you have the campaign setup. If you setup to include all targets, then the 2 ad groups will show only to people in the topic or interest group. If a users happens to be in both groups, then the keyword with the higher ad rank should get the impression.

Hope this helps.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hmm... This is interesting ...a combination of interests and topics.
I would pick only one of them. I don't like the interests (which is user targeting vs. topics which is web page targeting).
My "feeling" is that the system has "weakness" in identifying users' real interests.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for helping....

I have the AG and or Camp for that matter set up with as identicle Tpoic catagory and Intrest Catagory possible. Abour 12 topics and Intrests each, its an acne product so im after skin care articles, sites, etc. So Topics and Intrests I can choose very similar if not the same catagories. 

My problem is "example" KW "Hormonal Acne Treatment" does better in Topic but "Cystic Acne Treatment" does better in Intrest? I have each KW on both sides....And then 30 days later the KW does better on the other side, makes me nutz...

I wish I could turn off Intrest but for lots of KW its the best catagory. Talking on the phone to Google in Ireland they recommend splitting every Display ad group into Topic/Intrest. So I did. 

Im just wondering , am I better off to just keep seperate KW on seperate sides ie Topic/Intrest. Like Cystic, Adult, Organic and Teen Acne Treatments on Topic and Hormonal, Organic and Severe Acne Treatment on Intrest.

Specific terms like  Pregnant Acne Treatment have a seperate AG set for female only, appropriate ages etc. And Pregnant specific ads with pregnant specific landing page and Pregnanr url etc. I am that specific for Cystic and Tenn acne and more, but only for Search terms not Display. the Display cnat get that specific, I show a generic acne banner for Display ads. 

Any ideas? Just wanting better results. 

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again; This is a nice question;
This "healthcare topic" is a niche one.  I doubt if the system could identify correctly users who have interests in it.  I I have the "feeling" that you get impressions to to users who have no interest . What is your CTR in this ad group?

Another point to remember is that,  though you can bid on the display network on specific KWs, the KWs work collectively as a theme to  match the theme with relevant  web-page content. So; though you could bid specifically on a "leading KW  within the theme" , that has a better CTR,  you should always keep in mind, that KWS on the display should all have a common theme. Thus, I would pick KWs that are not specific but "rather broad ". (e.g : "acne treantmenmet" is OK but  "Cystic Acne Treatment" is too specific).

Aside of that, could you share your website URL? Since you offer a cure, Have you verified that you comply with the health care and medicine section of the Policy, ...

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Reply To Mosh, Thanks for your help.

There is NO cure for the disease known as acne and most people who think they have acne do not they have hormonal problem skin. Otherwise every teenager in America is suffering from a chronic uncurable skin disease. We are within drug guidlines since we have a logal OTC product within the group. If the landing page and the nbanner cater to Cystic acne them you have a better result with the KW Cystic acne, actually a general term for acne treatment is less productive. This is mainly because people who do not get specific are only wanting a $4 product and will get those at the grocery store. We make the professional acne products that are available at 800 medical clinics as well. Our products have the higest sucess rates much having to do with the customer support we offer. To treat acne well the product is only 505 of the struggle, proper product use is critical. 

So the more specific we get the better results. Those people who search Cystic or Hormonal acne are people who have already tried all other producs with no sucess, thats when they come to use. All you need to do is search "Cystic ance treatment" or Pregnant acne treatment" and you see we are always #1 , this is because no other acne brand wants to deal with those types of acne. So we have to pick up the nich pieces, the last customer we want is a teenager, they dont have $80 for an acne product, we want thier parents who care that we make the only Organic acne treatment in the world. 

My question is, do KW compete with each other if they are the same and one is on Topic and one is on Intrest. If Cystic Acne Treatment" gets me a #32 $57 Conversions on Topic but only #12 $67 conversions on Intrest. Should I pause the Intrest KW, hoping that the other #20 lost conversion will be picked up by the Intrest side, or Vice Versa. I would rather keep them seperat getting the #69 total conversions at a $62 average combined if pausing one KW does not help the other KW on the other side "ie" Topic and Intrest. 

Yes the Intrest group gets only half the Conv that The Topic AG gets and Intrest is 20% higher cost.

I would love to turn off Topic if those conv were picked up on the Intrest side. Otherwise I would rather leave Topic on and take the extra higher Conv cost sales...

Thank you for your time, my account is somewhat unusual, I was told by Google Ireland they use my account in meeting to show teach staff with. Our acne treatment treats all forms of acne. But a woman has more Hormanal acne and a man has more Cystic acne. People also search "Organic acne treatment and Natural. I have ad groups with ads and banners catering to each area and landing pages with testimonials and before and after images just for that specific group. Example the Dr pics on Hormonal are Femal doctors. For Cystic Male.  If they Search Natural acne treatment tha landing page pushes the Natural ingredients over the function. If the want Cystic Acne a very difficult to clear type of acne they land on a page full of Cystic before and afters with charts proving function and less talk about ingredients. And a pregant woman will not buy a acne treatment if she lands on the Cystic acne page. I have a pregnant acne page, we have the only acne tretament pregnant women can use. 

Several years ago before we customeized we would get $90 conversions with a generic acne page for all groups. By customizing we get $40 average. Plus these are 21 day Free Trials for $2.95 shipping. After the trial is over they are set on auto ship becuase to stay clear you must stay in treatment. We have a 75% retention rate on free trials. It all gets very confusing....Search is easy....Its working with Dispaly thats hard. 

If I have a high volume site like ehow.com with hundreds of acne pages we pull the list of URL's for that that the ad showed on. If we find pregnant acne pages we exclude them on that group and copy them to the Pregnant Display Group side. The same with Cystic and Hormonal. Its a lot of work but it makes for better results. 

When we used Google automated in display it was a disaster we had to close the AG and start new it was that corrupt with bad health pages not relating to acne. 

I know thats a lot but I wanted you to know what I was doing, I know your an expert. I started doing this in 2008 with Google..

Thanks Fred 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello again;
I need some more info:

• Are you bidding on each KW on the display network? How many KWs do you have in each ad-group?
  • Are your products considered prescription drugs or OTC? If OTC are they manufactured under government regulation (e.g FDA or EU medicinal regulatory body);

-Moshe

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Mosh. Hope this is thew correct way to reply. We have 24 products, 3 are OTC with FDA approval and legal, its a regulatory pain, the others are non drug so they dont say acne on them we use the term problem skin for those. The non drug items are more effective than the drug items, go figure. Its just because the drug lobby wants everything to be a disease so they can make money, like obesity is a disease now. In Sweden they dont give drugs offthe bat for ilnesses unless its important. 

Anyway. I use CPA for all display and ad groups. The dispay ad groups have about 8-10 KW because you dont want to many. I also "A-B" or test the same KW in all 3 versions "broad, phrase, exact" I found "Cystic acne treatment is best phrase and cystic acne product is best broad....weird..lots of odd issues like that. 

I used to have display ad groups for each acne form, about 10. Adult, cystic, hotmonal, teen, pregnant, natural, organic blah blah, each with exact banner ads "I have them made in the Phillipines for $2 a pop"  but I ended up in the end making 3 Display groups. One for Topic, one for Intrest and then one in another Camp for display placment only. Thats when I take every darn url that every got a hit and dump it into the placment display, I have NO topics and NO intrests set in it. If I find productive Urls's or site I put them there. 

Then since these ad groups are relativly mixed with KW, I will take each banner size like 336 and run a hormonal version, cystic, adult etc, like 8 versions each in 3 colors, so I found Cystic does best with 336 and 250 baners but awful with 120 and 160, there Hormonal does better. Its pretty consisten and pretty odd. The most action will always come from text ads, there you can play a lot. 

Anyway, thank, thats what I do, any ideas? 

Fred 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I however for the first time lowered all CPA amounts temorarily by 30-40% because of inventory shortfalls but we will be back up full bore in a week running full impressions. And our new acne pill finished trials 3 months ago so we are attacking soon with a supplenet thats 84% effective against a skin disease....I will put lots of effort into those camps ...Fred 

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hello again;
You are providing too much data and I am a bit confused. As for your campaign settings please answer my questions above;
As for Policy: are you a pharma manufacturer?