Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

keyword that matches list of stuff

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I want to add to the negative list all the country names [uk, Britain, Germany, China, Australia, ...]. However, adding all of these and their variants is a huge task. Can I just add "countries", or "list of all countries" or something, and google will not show my ad when a user enters a country name in their search ?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: keyword that matches list of stuff

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi magicsoft u,

That's not an option. I'm curious why you would want to do that. Does geo-targeting not work for you?

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pete,

The situation is like this, I am selling broadcast TV software, and one phrase I use to get customers is "broadcast channel" or "cable tv station software" or "playout schedule TV software".
Now, lots of users get to me by searching "russia tv channel schedule", "nigeria TV station".
Adding "russia", "nigeria" to the negative list helps very little, as they keep coming with "rusia" or "russian" or completely other countries: "german" etc... . And they come from everywhere.

I think this can be generalized. There are lots of domains that can express with 1 word lots of related stuff. They could just use that word, and it would expand in that list.
That would be helpful.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi magicsoft u,

Interesting problem. It sounds to me like you are using broad match for "broadcast channel" or "cable tv station software" or "playout schedule TV software". The first thing I'd do is make these BMM: "+broadcast +channel" or "+cable +tv +station +software" or "+playout +schedule +TV +software". That will eliminate impressions for your examples as they don't include all the terms in your keyword phrase.

Then I'd look at candidates for phrase and exact match, both positive and negative, by inspecting the search terms report.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords