Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

keyword problem/help to optimize

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

really need some help with keyword optimization, I jumped in to take care of a account that has runned for a long time, allthough I have done a lot of changes im a bit scared to touch certain things.

im in a industry where the keyword is broad lets say patches.

its like this in account

1.[patches] , this converts best (4% of clicks) , cost low and gen.pos is 3.0

2.  "patches", converts second best, cpc double higher then phrasematch above, gen.pos 1,7

3. patches, a lot of clicks no conversions

4. "patch" about he same difference between phrase match and exact match as above not so big difference though

5. [patch]

then i have some other like: order patches, patches city name, patches city name 2, cheap patches... i get some clicks but no conversions. These are the keywords in search term report (for keyword "patches")  that people search for . Once i tried to pause "patches" and then i added these keywords, just tested one week but the conversions decreased, no im not 100% sure if it is cause of the change or slower business. Can it decrease?

questions

I get a lot of clicks thats not relevant to my business and are not converting like flower patches etc. what shall i do to minimize these clicks? I have put a lot of words to negative but get new searches with different keywords comes all the time. I have put a lot of keywords to negative but not those that have converted, we have just used conversion tracking for about 3 months so I have nothing to compare too, but conversions have been dropping.

Is it good to have the keyword with all match types?

And I have understood that singularis and pluralis keywords are not necessary? What happens to conversions if i pause for example patch?

Do i need keywords like order patches, cheap patches?

Is 4% conversion of clicks a bad figure? Conversion is not a buy its a offer request form. 

Other suggestions?

This thing has bothered me so long and I would be very grateful if you can help me optimize these keywords Smiley Happy

Marica

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: keyword problem/help to optimize

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Marica W,

The distribution type of impressions and clicks over eligible search terms is not always favorable. When it is you may over time identify the best terms, add them as keywords, negate the bad ones etc. and there you go. The type of distribution you may seem to be experiencing does not allow for easy optimization: old search terms get forgotten while new ones are coming continuously.

"Is 4% conversion of clicks a bad figure?"

Negative, it is a good figure.

"Do i need keywords like order patches, cheap patches?"

I understand they get some clicks but no conversions. Add them as negatives.

"What happens to conversions if i pause for example patch?"

Chances are the keyword patches will accrue its earlier search terms and associated clicks, conversions.

"Is it good to have the keyword with all match types?"

It is a best practice in some cases. It does not change performance, however, gives you additional prompt insight.

"I have put a lot of words to negative but get new searches..."

As mentioned above that's a question of distribution type. You should continue weeding them out. 

"Once i tried to pause "patches" and then i added these keywords, just tested one week but the conversions decreased..."

Performance dropped for "patches" because the new terms ceased coming. They probably got accrued by the broad match keyword patches.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Lakatos,

so should I keep singularis and pluralis does it affect performance?

And: 

"Do i need keywords like order patches, cheap patches?"

I understand they get some clicks but no conversions. Add them as negatives.

->These are according to search term report the searches that turn in o conversions for the keyword "patches",

words like flower patches and military patches + thousand of other words before and after patches that is not relevant, are the ones that are giving a lot of wasted clicks because they are not ordering they are just looking for ready patches not custom made, I have put a lot of those words in negative list but keeps coming new ones. I think this affect our quality score for landing page experience, its below average, for we get hundreds of irrelevant clicks cause of this problem. Our competitor is always top of the page even though i inrease bids, optimize ads, I have added information extensions and so on ( the competitor has no extensions). Can it just be because of the landing page experience quality is bad?

How can I fix this? Is it even fixable Smiley Happy

(for the keywords [patches] and "patches", the ads relevance and expected click through rate is  above average) 

Marica

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

sorry for bad language,

Q2 I meant that I added them after studying the search term report, I even paused the patches phrasematch to see if i get better conversions with the keywords: order patches, patches city name, patches city name 2, cheap patches. But I only tried this a few days and then got scared and activated keyword "patches" again and problem with irrelevant keywords flower patches etc continious.

i read some where that if you get a lot of irrelevant clicks to your landing page, then google reads that the landing experience is not good/relevant =lowers landing page experience score.

Im really trying to solve the problem how to optimise keywords to get less irrelevant clicks which will help above.

Marica

Marica

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Marica W,

"... if you get a lot of irrelevant clicks to your landing page, then google reads that the landing experience is not good ...."

The keywords accrued those impressions & clicks because the system thought the search terms were relevant to them. So Google cannot conclude that the LP registered irrelevant clicks. Hence what you read is not true. You of course may want to refine the algorithm's judgement when you identify wasted clicks and where they come from.

Please create a new thread for the rest of your questions.

Best,

Lakatos