Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

keyword match type to improve quality score

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

i have a confusion about keyword match type in BMM(broad match modifier).

i know it is not good to put a keyword that has only one word but in case of two or three words is it right that we should put bmm ???

ex. i have a keyword 'water treatment plant' in this case should i put '+' sign before all words (water, treatment, plant) or just leave (broad match) as it is??? if we leave as it(broad match) is so if some one is searching for 'medical treatment' in broad match so my ad will show or not??

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: keyword match type to improve quality score

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

Welcome to the AdWords CommunitySmiley Happy

Yes if you use the keywords in Broad matched, it is the chances that your ads will appear in Medical treatment. So you need to work more on the negative kwyword to control your the irrelevant keyword or use the BMM.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Hello,

Speaking about broad match, there are a couple of different ways:
1. adding "+"before every word of your phrase is quite a safe way to go: in this case the keyword will trigger your ads only if all 3 of the words ("water", "treatment" and "plant") are included in the search query, also their misspellings and close variations. Here you are almost saved from using negative keywords (it doesn't mean you don't need negative keywords though).

2. using the common broad match keywords (without "+") will make your ads show for queries that are not necesarily contain your keyword components: broad match can trigger ads for misspellings, close variants, synonims, etc. So if you'd like to make your ads as relevant as possible, you will want to add lots (LOTS) of negative keywords along with the broad match ones. Without negatives, it's quite possible your ad will be triggered by "medical treatment" as well.

I think the way to go is trying both combinations. After some time you'll refine your keyword list adding phrase matches or even exacts, but first it's nice to have some statistics and see what's working and what's not.

More information regarding different match types can be found here

milda prušinskaitė

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I have abandoned almost completely the classic "broad match". It's just too broad... And the number of synonyms behind each broad match keyword (that could match a keyword and trigger the ad) is endless. That could result in "undesired" impressions irrelevant to the user's search query. (And obviously low CTR...)
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Moshe (im a fan of yours, simply coz you always are very correct in your replies)
Hi Mildaster,
You guys are absolutely correct... Modified broad match (+) is the Key!!..
increases relevancy, quality score and improves CTR which again is good for future performance of your keywords in the account.

I advise using "Modified broad" and few "Phrase" type keywords in your campaigns...

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
It is also worth thinking about which of the words need to be modified. For example I would be tempted to use +water +treatment plant

Why? Well because water and treatment are what this is all about - but plant is just one way of describing the place itself, and I'd be happy if someone searched for "water treatment facility" and triggered my ad.

But then, as mentioned in previous replies, I'd keep a close eye on the search query reports for negative keyword ideas.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Good morning,

when you say "if we leave as it(broad match) is so if some one is searching for 'medical treatment' in broad match so my ad will show or not??" - the first thing to do is ask yourself WHY someone's looking for this. As Moshe says, broad match is simply too big these days, and even with a small army of negatives you aren't going to get much headway.

So my suggestion is to start by looking at the data you've already got. Where are most of your useful clicks coming from, and why. This is a lot easier than just wondering what's in your customers' minds - because that's not possible. It's a lot easier to form an impression by looking at your data!

The point is to reverse-engineer all this into a much smaller campaign, using phrase match or even tighter. The point being to get as many clicks as you did before, but by focusing on where those clicks came from.

Does this approach interest you? I can go into more detail if you wish. It may well be that if you're a consultant, you've been told to use broad match - and so different strategies will be needed to weed out non-buyers.

N/A
# 8
N/A

What is the effect then of using too many broad match keywords in your ad group? 

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
You might get impressions much less relevant to the search query - the ad will not be clicked ---> as a result CTR goes down and QS drops.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
If you are determined to use broad match keywords, do a Google search on them, and add a very large number of negative keywords! That'll tailor your results.

Also reverse-engineering the searches that do best will help get you better results.