AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

is the bounce rate included in converstion rate calculation?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

i want to know if am doing the right things on calculating converstion rates. when calculating converstion rate does one include the bounce rate factor or ignore it. e.g. if you have a 20% bounce rate, do you calculate your converstion rate from 80% of the ones who stayed on the site or from the full 100 % of the visitors who came to your landing page?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author volunteer c
September 2015

Re: is the bounce rate included in converstion rate calculation?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Volunteer C ! 

Nice question, it helped me find out new things about this basic concept.

I have read about the conversion rate from this page :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2684489?hl=en

"Your conversion rate is calculated by simply taking the number of conversions and dividing that by the number of ad clicks you received during the same time period" . So my answer would be that the bounce visitors are into the equation. A bounce is however a visitor who's time on the landing page could not be calculated because he did not click on the second page. If your landing provides enough information about how to place an order, a bounce could also account for a useful visit since the visitor could make a phone order for example, an offline conversion.

I also did find on the definition page this information, that was  new to me and interesting : 

• If you're using "conversions (many-per-click)," your conversion rate might be over 100% because more than one conversion can be counted for each click."

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author volunteer c
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Volunteer C ! 

Nice question, it helped me find out new things about this basic concept.

I have read about the conversion rate from this page :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2684489?hl=en

"Your conversion rate is calculated by simply taking the number of conversions and dividing that by the number of ad clicks you received during the same time period" . So my answer would be that the bounce visitors are into the equation. A bounce is however a visitor who's time on the landing page could not be calculated because he did not click on the second page. If your landing provides enough information about how to place an order, a bounce could also account for a useful visit since the visitor could make a phone order for example, an offline conversion.

I also did find on the definition page this information, that was  new to me and interesting : 

• If you're using "conversions (many-per-click)," your conversion rate might be over 100% because more than one conversion can be counted for each click."

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Also worth noting is that one very good reason behind calculating Conversion Rate like this is that the clicks generate the cost and the conversions the value (as long as you are paying per click), so to determine expected ROI for a specific keyword, you would like to include the bounced clicks too.

Post Bounce Rate Conversion Rate (= PBRCR ?) could also be an interesting metric to look into.
Maybe keywords with a big difference between Conversion Rate and PBRCR have the wrong messaging in the ad - attracting a big fraction of people who do not want anything to do with what you have to offer while the people you are looking for are actually converting..