Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

inconsistency in kewyords and management of traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good Morning everyone,

I am going to explain our problem as simply as I can.
We are running a long tail campaigns with thousands of keywords, a lot of them are broad match with modifiers.

There is a list of 3 or 4 words that make search queries very relevant to what we are providing, people typing them are more valuable because they are more likely to convert (words like "design" or "motive" actually) i

One might think that the simple solution is to add  one of these words into the broad modifiers in our existing keywords (while duplicating them) but the thing is if we do that those keywords all become low search volume dead keywords
and thats a bit of a loophole in a sense that this traffic does exist we can tell from the Search term report that some people type "design" along with the queries that trigger our keywords , but this "design" people traffic is so spread out between our thousands and thousands of broad keywords that adding the word design to these keywords will basically make them low search volume and they will never be triggered anymore.
Lets say if I have 4000 kw and every month 200 people type the word "design" within their search query, it might mean a lot to us on an account level but from my keywords point of view this correspond to like 0.05 query per keyword and per month so that is why adding them into the broad match syntax make them completely ineligible these keywords do no want to be activated just for a set of queries that show up once every other month.

I thought about several solutions:  create a duplicate of my campaign, put "design" as negative in the first campaign to redirect the traffic into the second  campaign if  people ever type this word (and in this campaign the bids would be higher because as I said those queries are worth more to us), but yes there is a major flaw:  keywords in this new campaign will compete with keywords from the 1st campaign even for queries who do not comprise the word "design", because in the search network unlike in google shopping, there is no way to prioritize campaign between each other, they simply compete based on the higher bids.

I thought I could create some kind of script in the second campaign that somehow tell adwords to rule out queries who dont include the word "design" so that they would match with the 1st campaign where bids would be lower,  so exactly the opposite of what negative keywords do. I asked this in the script forum at first, they told me that I should ask you what is exactly to be done and that they were willing to help create a script around this concept if needs be.

So what do you suggest I should do based on what I have tried and what I would like to achieve?

Many thanks for your help

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: inconsistency in kewyords and management of traffic

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Alois P interesting question!

If I've understood you, the question you're asking is how to include these important words such as "design" and "motive" in combination with your other Keywords without causing them to become Low Volume, yes?

My first instinct is to see whether there are "lesser" combinations that are common over a larger group of your Keywords than just a single one.  For example, if you have Keywords +red +shoes and +brown +shoes, rather than creating +red +shoes +design and +brown +shoes +design, would +shoes +design be just as effective?  With thousands of Keywords, you'd probably have to run an analysis (possibly using a Script) to look at word frequency and combinations.  Since you're dealing with real data, you might even be able to predict impressions or clicks (though I can't be sure without trying).

Can you amalgamate Campaigns into larger targets for these extended Keywords?  For example, if you were targeting different Time Zones across the States with separate Campaigns, or using a restricted schedule, you might get more reach using wider targets.

Does this happen with all your Keywords?  "Thousands" of Keywords is really quite a lot and I'd be willing to wager the Pareto principle will apply here (see:

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Articles/Keywords-and-the-Pareto-Principle/ba-p/462688

Do you get this low search volume even with your most "popular" Keywords?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Jon

Many thanks for your reply, Yes you have understood what my problem was.

The solutions that you suggest are not satisfactory in the context of this particular account. This is a long tail adwords account with extremely precise landing pages corresponding to very specific products (we have countless products). We already have another account with more general search terms and there we can allow ourselves to be more vague in our keywords because the landing page is not as specific while providing users with mostly what they are looking for

In this long tail campaign the syntax of our keywords go like this: +type of product +long tail theme
for example +bag +butterfly (I have made up this example just to illustrate my point)
in this landing page what we would sell is a bag with a motive depicting a butterfly, if for some reasons they want to buy a bag with a nice picture of a butterfly on it.
But you can imagine already what the problem is, this keyword might also attract people who would like to go hunting butterflies in their garden and would like to buy a special bag for that (once again just an example) and even if the ad is crystal clear about what we provide, sometimes people with very strange queries click on it anyways

However if they typed the word "design" thats a good indication that the users and us are talking about the same thing that s why these queries are valuable.
I cannot sacrifice the word "bag" because thats the product on the landing page, having +butterfly +design would indeed work as keyword but this would be destroying our quality score and cost per conversion. We would match with people looking for butterfly tatoos design or butterfly paintings on their wall etc. +bag +design is not either for plenty of reasons starting with the fact that its not long tail anymore and it will not be cost per conversion friendly.

In my search term report everytime I saw the word design, I tried to put the word "+design" in the keyword that has been triggered and it always becomes a low search volume, I havent tried that for all my thousands of keywords but just a dozen is a good indication that in general this is not working as ideally as I wish it was.

Target wise there is nothing more to do, this is targetted to France (or French speaking people living abroad but they account for a tiny amount of users ) thats what the market is for this account, the landing page is .fr the language is French, it would make no sense to include German, English or Spanish in term of the quality of these campaigns. We have already special accounts for these countries so that everybody ends up in the landing page of their country in the language that they speak.

To answer your last question, the traffic is extremely spread out in this account even if we manage to get the word "design" for the top 5 Keywords, we would still be missing on 99% of traffic from people looking for these terms.

Many thanks for your help

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Alois P, OK, hmm.

How many Keywords have you tried with the added words?  Often Google will label a Keyword as "low volume" then it'll happily carry on accruing impressions and clicks (it seems Google's definition of "low volume" may be quite high!).

Given what you've said, at the moment I can't think of any solutions (other than simply to try it).  Have you always used Modified Broad Match for these terms?  It might be worth experimenting with simple Broad.  Once you've got 3 or 4 words, Broad match becomes much less dangerous and it's a lot better than it used to be.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon

Thanks for your reply.
I have always bad experience with pure broad keywords and this is something we have been trying to avoid, but the fact they are less dangerous when many words are involved this I guess I did not really know so I am definitely going to try that that seems like an interesting option and I didnt try that one in this particular case.

Regarding "low volume" kw, I read that google do not activate those kw ,they do not exist, even if one person every other day is looking for it they will not see the ad, it is inactive until a substential amount of persons decide to look for these words, isnt it true ?

Many Thanks