AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

im getting a fair amount of clicks but not turning into sales..any advice?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

im getting a fair amount of clicks but not turning into sales..any advice? what am i doing wrong?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: im getting a fair amount of clicks but not turning into sales..any advice?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I'm not sure I completely agree with Moshe... your ads may not be well written - and your keywords may not be well selected...

Where I certainly do agree is that the landing page - and ll the subsequent pages in the sales funnel need to work to their maximum potential; but - and this is the main thing - you need to be sure that your keywords and ads are pre-qualifiying your traffic as much as possible.

Getting traffic is the easy part - anyone can do that - it's just a matter of paying for it.

What's more difficult is getting traffic that might convert. Let me explain with what are (admittedly) extreme examples....

If you sell "blue widgets" it's not going to do you any good if you have "blue" as a keyword.

You'lll get traffic for anyone searching for "blue fin dolphins", "blue movies", "eric clapton plays the blues" and "man city blues"....

Then you have an ad - the ad needs to be very specific to your product... if you have a headline that says "We Sell Cool Blue Stuff" then you're going to get a lot of clicks to your site that, when they get there will simply think "I wasn't looking for blue widgets" and leave....

Check to see what keywords visitors are actually using (in the keyword reports) and see if there are negative keywords you can use to eliminate that traffic which is never going to convert. Make sure your ads are specific to your product - again to elminate traffic that is not relevant, and make sure that when you attract the right traffic, your landing page, and the rest of the process, keeps these visitors moving along towards a conversion and not bailing....

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

This usually happens when the ad-copy is well written, appealing, gets a high adrank BUT, the landing page does not "deliver": the user clicking on the ad - does not find on the landing page the service / product searched for, and (as a result) does not convert.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I'm not sure I completely agree with Moshe... your ads may not be well written - and your keywords may not be well selected...

Where I certainly do agree is that the landing page - and ll the subsequent pages in the sales funnel need to work to their maximum potential; but - and this is the main thing - you need to be sure that your keywords and ads are pre-qualifiying your traffic as much as possible.

Getting traffic is the easy part - anyone can do that - it's just a matter of paying for it.

What's more difficult is getting traffic that might convert. Let me explain with what are (admittedly) extreme examples....

If you sell "blue widgets" it's not going to do you any good if you have "blue" as a keyword.

You'lll get traffic for anyone searching for "blue fin dolphins", "blue movies", "eric clapton plays the blues" and "man city blues"....

Then you have an ad - the ad needs to be very specific to your product... if you have a headline that says "We Sell Cool Blue Stuff" then you're going to get a lot of clicks to your site that, when they get there will simply think "I wasn't looking for blue widgets" and leave....

Check to see what keywords visitors are actually using (in the keyword reports) and see if there are negative keywords you can use to eliminate that traffic which is never going to convert. Make sure your ads are specific to your product - again to elminate traffic that is not relevant, and make sure that when you attract the right traffic, your landing page, and the rest of the process, keeps these visitors moving along towards a conversion and not bailing....

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Well.,,. The OP said that he gets a fair amount of clicks. I assume that he means a relatively nice CTR;

My other conclusion is that if the CTR is relatively high, then QS would be high .

I also assume that this is not an e-commerce siאe (if it were the OP would tell). Thus, we are talking about a landing page with a form to fill in, or a phone # to call. Assuming, this is the case - The landing page is the focus!

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Ohh...and another point:

Is the conversion code installed properly?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Getting lots of clicks is the easy part.... it doesn't mean that they are relevant clicks (although I do agree that this would affect QS).

And, of course, you can get lots of clicks with a really poor CTR... this depends on how targeted your keywords and ads are...

This is a problem I see all too often - lots of clicks and no conversions (good point Moshe makes about checking the conversion code).

I had one local client (I am in Marbella in Southern Spain) who had the geo targeting set to 600km from his place of business.

Not only was that simply way, way too big an area for the type of business - but more that 2/3 of the catchment area was Morocco! Since Google had suggested the languages - he had English, Spanish and French selected with ads running only in Spanish.

Couple that with the fact that he had no Analytics installed and you have the perfect storm. Lots of clicks - mostly coming from Morocco - with no possibilty of conversions.... and he didn't even know.

Getting a fair amount of clicks is not always the solution - or even the starting point.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

ok, so you need to check if the traffic you're getting is relevant:

->go to the keywords tab, click on keyword details, select "all"

you'll get to see whether the search queries are relevant.

if they are, the next thing to analyze is the landing page, and the buying funnel.

do you have Google analytics set up?

if you do, yuo can see where people are dropping off.

for eg, assuming that the traffic is relevant, they might be dropping off on the home page, the buying funnel etc.

basically, set up a way to analyse this.

here's how you can install Gogle Analytics: https://support.google.com/analytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&utm_medium=et&utm_campaign=en_us&utm_source...

bob
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
bob
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Agree with Moshe as very important.   My suggestion is rather than go for the sale go for engagement.   If you can engage the customer then your chances for the eventual sale is increased.   Here's a suggstion. 

Don't go for sale/conversion up front.   Try having some form of a "free newsletter" sign up sheet.   Rather than set a goal to sell, set it to sign up for something free, something that provides information your potential customer is probably looking for, etc.   Go for an intermediate step.  Your "conversion goal" simply assumes another step which is very common to internet search patterns, and if you using autoresponders, then you set up once but use over and over for 1,000's of inquiries.

Also if you are using a "remarketing campaign" even though you aren't getting your desired result immediately that does not mean you are not converting at a later date, however that will probably be a very low % age.    Good luck.