4.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

html5 vs swf creatives

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I currently have a campaign for a casual gaming site on the content network. When I upload an swf creatives, the system creates an html5 version of the same creative. For a lot of cases, the html5 creatives are getting higher CTR compared to the same swf creatives. All my traffic is coming from desktop pcs (no mobile and tablets).

1. I am wondering what criteria is being used to display html5 vs swf creatives on the content network?
  2. If I paused swf creatives, will I lose the traffic volume?
  3. I was under the impression that html5 creatives were generated for mobile OS but that does not seem to be the case since my traffic almost exclusively is desktop traffic and I see pretty large chunk of total impressions coming from html5 creatives.

I would love to hear answer from someone who has experienced similar issue.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: html5 vs swf creatives

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Webtrend I,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

Google is now upgrading Flash to HTML5 (Source). So, the most important criterion now is browser compatibility and pagespeed.

To your other questions - if you have all supported dimensions of hTML5 version of banners, pausing the Flash ones should not affect the performance. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Re: html5 vs swf creatives

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Ratan. I will try to pause one of the swf creatives and see what happens.