2.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

how to optimize the ad to bring it on to top position

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can anybody help me how to bring our ad to top position all the time.

• I have set it to max. top estimate cpc
  • usnig conversion optimizer.

My competor is always on top even if i am biddign more. What to do

Re: how to optimize the ad to bring it on to top position

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello Hari,

bidding is not only thing to get High Ranking. Have you checked your QS?
I think you should work to get best QS for your ads which help you to get desired Position.

Also Please let me know if you still have doubt on it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Kandarp,
Thanks for writing to me,
I know that QS plays a vital role in ad rank. But my ad QS is 7/10. I bid
it more than max. But with the particular keywords, my competitor is on
first position. What to do.
Regards
Hari Prasad

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hari,

Your ad position is decided based on the ad auction. The 2 important factors that affect the ad position are Bidding + Quality Score.

Bidding is not the only think that will keep you on the top of search result. You have to focus on your Quality Score as well.

Tips to help you rank on top of search results.

1) Focus on relevance: Make sure that your keywords, ads and landing pages are relevant to what customers are searching for. If your ads aren't relevant, they might show, but they won't get as many clicks – this leads to poor performance over time.
2) Keep your keyword list fresh: Are you using the right keywords to reach your customers? Try using the Keyword Planner to get ideas for new keywords that you may want to add to your list.
3) Keep your bid competitive: Try keeping your bid high enough so that you can compete with other advertisers who are also bidding on the same keywords that you are. Look through the top of page bid estimates to help you figure out how much you probably need to bid to compete for a top spot on the page.
4) Check your account often: Making small but regular improvements now could have a big impact later on.
5) Use Ad Extensions: Use different extensions with your ads. Such as site links, reviews, call, location extensions etc. Ad Extensions helps your ads get more clicks which help you maintain Quality Score.

Read More at https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722087?hl=en-GB

Also there is no guarantee that buy doing all these stuff you will stay on 1st position because positions are decided at the time of Ad auction (The time user search) so sometime your ad will show up on Second too. So I will suggest you to focus more on Ad copy and landing page experience rather than focusing on first position.

Nouman

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Hari,
To add to the great answers already provided here, if you're using the Conversion Optimizer that will override your Max CPC Bids. If you're truly going after position, consider turning Conversion Optimizer off and see if that helps you raise your position.

Also, unless they explicitly tell you, you won't be able to know that you're bidding more than your competitor.

Finally, it's great to be competitive and try to beat your competitors, but keep in mind that positioning isn't everything. Focus on getting great post-click results from your AdWords traffic as well. Yes, being in a higher position usually leads to increased AdWords Clicks, but getting more Conversions from your AdWords traffic can be more profitable for you.

What to do if i want my Ad to be on the first positon all the times

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I want my ad to be on top 1st position always. My competetor is always seem to be on top position all the times.

Please do not suggest me following things.

Adcopy

landingpage

bidding

Q.S = 7/10

These all are fine.

Please do let me know if you know any optimized techniques

Re: What to do if i want my Ad to be on the first positon all the time

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Well bidding plays the major role here. But since you have mentioned not to suggest anyone of the following i don't think there are anything else to be done other than improving the points you already have mentioned.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi hari p,

There really isn't any way to guarantee 1st position always short of over-bidding. A QS of 7/10 isn't bad, but it isn't good either. You need better CTR to get a better QS. Maybe your keywords and ad copy aren't a good fit. Try breaking up your ad groups into more granular and focused groups to see if you can get a better CTR. Use multiple ads in each group, keep testing and improving your account performance. That should result in a better CTR and QS, and that will improve the position of your ads.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pete,

Thanks for writing to me, but here my keywords QS is avg of 7/10. One thing
i did not understand that why my competetor is always on first position and
i am in second position. Is there any other strategy...

Thanks & Regards,
Hari Prasad

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi Hari,

Ads are positioned according to AdRank (QS * Max CPC bid). Let's say your competitor has a QS of 10/10 while your QS is 7/10. Your bids would need to be substantially higher, about 30%, than the competitor to reach the top position. Let's now say your competitor's bid is $5. AdRank would be 50. You would need to bid $7.15 to get a higher AdRank than the competitor. If the competitor bid is $10, you need to bid $14.15. You might not want to bid that high.

The whole key is CTR. Improving your CTR improves the QS, which improves your AdRank.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords