Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

how to monitor changes

N/A
# 1
N/A
Hi.

I run a national campaign with over 100 adgroups.

The more the account grows the harder I am finding to keep track of all the changes I make in order to follow up at a later date ensuring the change has had a positive effect .

My question is how does everyone else manage this?

I have considered a paper based system or spreadsheet but neither seem ideal.

Cheers

Ap
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: how to monitor changes

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi AP,

That is a really good question. Would love to hear some of the responses.

Personally I use a spread sheet myself. Thought of writing a script to check for recent changes of specified categories and automatically update a google doc for me. But this seems like too much effort, and the maintenance would equate to the same, as I would constantly need to be tweaking it with all the new additions and such.

On the other side of the coin, I am not sure how many changes you are constantly testing, but if it is an excessive amount keep in mind that implementing a number of changes at the same time makes it difficult to attribute performance boosts or drops to certain changes. So keep in mind that you do not want to be running too many tests at the same time (seems weird to be saying that) on the same ad groups/campaigns. Perhaps limit your testing till you have conclusive results and then you do not have to worry about tracking the long term effects, as you will be confident in your results.

Interested to hear how others track tests though!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi AP,

Yes, I agree with Clynton, You can keep track with in spreadsheet and in Docs. Moreover AdWords itself offers a tool that is called "Label". Through label you keep track of changes when your account is big.

Label allows you to tag some changes of the account. Let's say. on 23 Aug you add 10 more keywords:- Here you label all keywords "Added keyword on 23 Aug (or pick name as per convenient)". Then on 24th Aug you add some Ad Text, Here you can label those adds with "Ad text 24th Aug". In this way you can keep the record of changes in the accounts without putting any extra effort and you can easily see the reports of all those changes by using single filter.

Label.GIF

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

I use a combination of a spreadsheet laid out to allow me to make notes of important or potentially significant changes and the Comments function in AdWords Editor.

If I have a concern about a specific keyword or some other individual element of a campaign, I add a comment to that item in Editor, so that I can refer back to it later.  For more general changes, I use a spreadsheet to keep track of campaign edits and dates.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

N/A
# 5
N/A
Thanks clynton and rakesk

The changes are mainly new keywords or split testing adverts. Every day I update my negative keywords. every weekend I look at the data for the week and try improve the worst 10 performing as groups.

I'm about to take on a few more campaigns as well so things could go wrong very easily.

I'd still be interested to hear how the majority tackle it

Cheers

Ap