2.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

how to mark an existing positive placement as negative using api

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hi, i want to make an existing placemet (positive) as negative. One way to do this is to remove the existing plac ement(positive) and create a new negative placement. Is there any other way to do this ??

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: how to mark an existing positive placement as negative using api

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

In AdWords is enough to add negative (positive will be blocked automatically). Delete positive also can be enough if you have setting to target by manual placements.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
But, when I try to add a negative placement with the same url as existing, it gives following error:
AdGroupCriterionError.CANNOT_TARGET_AND_EXCLUDE @ operations[0].operand

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Ok, the second part "Delete positive also can be enough if you have setting to target by manual placements."

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok, I got your point. But, if it were the last placement in the adgroup, removing it will cause the ads to be displayed everywhere, where as I want the ads to be displayed everywhere except this placement. That's why I want to negate the existing placement. The first part of your answer,"In AdWords is enough to add negative (positive will be blocked automatically)." , can you provide more details on how to do this??

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

You can place your website or something & never delete it, if you don't want to delete last one. About first, I thought that it can work like keywords that works in past, so I'm wrong (it was only idea).

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 7
Top Contributor Alumni

Let me see if I can find someone familiar with the API who can offer you some ideas.

Edit:  To get API help, we recommend that you ask your question in the API Help forum at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/adwords-api

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Hi Shailesh,

Like Darts P explained, you should delete the targeted/managed placement from your placements list in the adgroup, once this is done, ideally your ads will start showing up on all the other managed placements only or if the placement was the last one to be targeted in the adgroup then your ads will either stop serving ( if you don't have any other form of targeting set up) or will serve ads basis the other targeting parameters.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"