AdWords
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

how to increase "top of the page rate" and my average position?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

how to increase my campaign's "top of the page rate" which is now only 21.28% while my impression share is the top (83.3%) but my average position is only 4.2?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: how to increase "top of the page rate" and my average po

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Welldonekitkit,

To increase your top of page rate, you'll need to increase your Ad Rank.  Since Ad Rank is what determines you Ad's position in the auction, and Ad Rank = Max. CPC x Quality Score, you have two things to focus on; increasing your Max CPC bids or improving your quality score.  Improving your quality score will be more complex, but offer the most cost-effective long-term benefits.  To do that, as the Quality Score article says, you'll want to increase your Keywords, Ad Quality and Relevance, and Landing Page Experience.

Focusing only on the CPC side, you can use the "target search page location" flexible bidding strategy to help achieve your target locations on the page.  As shown in the flexible bidding strategies article, you have two options:

• Set your bids to be automatically adjusted to the top of page bid estimate
  • Set your bids manually, but apply automated bid adjustments

To set bid adjustments, you'll need to create a Bid Strategy in your Shared Library.  You can initiate this process by selecting a keyword's checkbox, clicking the "Bid Strategy" drop down, and then selecting "Use flexible bid strategy".  From the shared library, you'll create a new bid strategy to "Target search page location" and then choose one of the bid automation options.

Another way to apply the first option without creating a Bid Strategy in your Shared Library is to select a keyword's checkbox, click the "Automate" drop down, and then select "Raise bids to top of page CPC when...".  From there, you can choose to set a Max. CPC bid limit and set the Requirement to "Performance > Avg. Position falls below x".  While this is a little quicker the first time, you can save time in the long run by creating the Bid Strategy in your Shared Library so that you can quickly apply it to other keywords later on.

Quote:

Keep in mind: The target search page location bid strategy doesn't guarantee placement on the first page, or ad position on the first page of search results. These estimates and the bid strategy will typically attempt to achieve your target location, but final placement is ultimately determined by the outcome of the ad auction, which is influenced by advertiser competition and Quality Score.

Hope this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Joe,

Thanks so much for your suggestion.

I am already using "Maximize clicks" bid strategy. if i change to "Target search page location" will it make better improvement?

there are 5 bid strategies. which one would u recommend to use the most if we want the max clicks with the best impression, and the best average position?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

one more question: in one of my campaign auction insight report, it shows:
impression share: 91.29% (the top one among all competitors)
my average position is 3.8
"top of the page rate" is 33.49%

why? it does not make sense. it means most of the time my position is 3.8 or above. then why the top of the page rate is so low? what is the correlation of "average position" and "top of the page rate"?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello again,

You're getting at some interesting things here =).  My previous recommendation was to help you achieve the objective of increasing your top of page rate.  However, to achieve multiple objectives - like maximizing clicks and average position - you have to balance your business objectives and develop a strategy that accounts for more variables.  Sometimes, optimizing campaign performance and ROI requires that you make tradeoffs between your various objectives.  Check out this article on performance-based bidding.  I think you'll find it very helpful.

The automated bidding strategy of maximizing clicks is designed to dynamically optimize your bids to help you get the most clicks and traffic with your campaign's set budget.  Since higher ad positions tend to require higher CPC bids, maximizing your traffic within your set budget to maximize ROI can require you to advertise in lower positions on the page.

Ultimately, what the above article points out is that "you might discover that your most profitable CPC bids come from ad positions that are outside of the top three."

All that being said, everyone loves top spots.  I too am trying to balance my clients' objectives of maximizing clicks within their budgets while achieiving top spots.  As a result, I always do everything I can to increase the quality scores as much as possible before I focus on achieving certain positions.  Oddly enough, CTR is a key factor in quality score, and so what I have found is that it can be important to bid competitively since the top spots tend to have higher CTR.  Of course, before you begin, you want to make sure you've done everything you can to maximize your ad quality and optimize your targeting.

In theory, as long as you can keep your ROI positive, your advertising budget is infinite.  Here are some additional articles on this topic which you might like if you haven't seen them already:

Hope this helps!

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Sure,

The average position actually indicates that 50% of the time, your ad appears above "position 3.8", and 50% of the time your ad appears below position 3.8.

See Moshe's description below.

Your top of page rate indicates that your ad appears in position #1 33.49% of the time.

The 'above the page' rate indicates the percentage of the time that your ad appears in positions 1-3 (above the organic results).

Remember, that if you're using the Maximize Clicks bidding option, Google's trying to adjust your bid (and ad position) in order to get you the most clicks at the best price, not the highest position.  Depending on your budget and other factors, tweaking your bids to achieve certain positions could decrease clicks, decrease ROI, and increase your cost per acquisition.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@welldonekitkit ;

Quote:

"...it means most of the time my position is 3.8 or above...."

Nope:  Without getting into the complexity of calculating the average position - Avg. position  represents a position within the range of positions your ad is shown. (For example the average of position 1 and position 7 is 4)

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/14075?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’