Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

how to increase impression share

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I wonder why my impression share is the lowest among all in one campaign, while my impression share is the highest among all other competitors in another campaign.   as I am using the same technique on setting up the keywords in both campaigns.   any idea how to increase?

thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author welldonekitkit
September 2015

Re: how to increase impression share

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

What is your default bid vs average cpc?
-If these are very similar, try upping your bid.

What is your budget?
-If you are coming close to meeting it every day, try increasing it.

What is your quality score?
-If it is six or less, try improving your ad quality, landing page optimization, etc.

What is your CTR?
-Try writing more compelling copy. Split testing 2-3 ads simultaneously will help you tweak this.

Have you checked auction insights?

-Try evaluating your competitors who are outperforming you to see what makes them different, i.e. is it their unique value proposition, average position, etc.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Carl,

thanks for your suggestions.

What is your default bid vs average cpc?
-If these are very similar, try upping your bid.
> max. default bid is $5. the average CPC is $2.77

What is your budget?
-If you are coming close to meeting it every day, try increasing it.
> no it did not reach or exceed the budget. I set it the max budget per day is $50, but it usually reached to around $25-28 everyday.

What is your quality score?
-If it is six or less, try improving your ad quality, landing page optimization, etc.
> i can only see the QS on keywords only. the lowest QS is 7 on keywords (not including those keywords with no impression at all in all times).

What is your CTR?
-Try writing more compelling copy. Split testing 2-3 ads simultaneously will help you tweak this.
> Average CTR is 2%, whileas Search Impr. share (campaign wide) is 43.29%, Search Lost IS (rank) is 56.71%.

Have you checked auction insights?
-Try evaluating your competitors who are outperforming you to see what makes them different, i.e. is it their unique value proposition, average position, etc.
> yes this is where I found my impression share is so low. and I wonder why there is only 1 competitor (other than me). but when I used Ad Preview on testing keywords, I saw at least 2 other competitors' ad. I wonder why auction insight report shows only 1 competitor.

thanks.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

On auction insights, it only provides a small sampling of the whole so you aren't seeing the entire picture. Further more, depending on what level you are conducting the insight reports from(adgroup, keyword, campaign), you will see different results. This would explain why ad preview shows different ads then auction insights. If you are using geo targeting, be sure ad preview is set to same geo targeting settings.

Are you using exact match only?

What percentage of your IS is exact?

What is your average position?

Is the any one adgroup in the campaign that is dragging your average IS down?

If so, what keywords in that adgroup are contributing?

What is your conversion rate?
-I attended a webinar a while back that showed strong correlation between CTR, Conversion Rate and Impression share. While not out of the mouth of google, there was enough data for it to be compelling.

Does lost IS fluctuate by hour of day or day of week or device? (Check using segments)

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author welldonekitkit
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Exactly the same problem i was facing with my one of the account. I tried to add up more negative keywords to campaign also raise the exact match keywords bid by 50% and initially i paused some broad match keywords which have CTR < 1%. after some time (2 weeks) my search imp share is raised from 29% to 65% and then i start enabling my broad keywords which was paused previously. Now from last 2 month my search imp share is more than 60%. Also, avoid lots of optimization at same time and lots of budget changes on daily or weekly basis. Have Patient give time to your experiments to work for you!
Hope this will work for you too!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thanks for your reply.

i checked on auction insight report at campaign level and the impression share is very low. but when i checked on ad group level, some ad groups have very high IS (about 90%). while some others cannot show auction insight report at all (it shows: "There has not been enough activity for us to generate an Auction insights report.")

Are you using exact match only?
> no. mainly board match

What percentage of your IS is exact?
> 84.8%

What is your average position?
> 1.9 (campaign wide). there is another competitor (the only one) at position 1.1

Is the any one adgroup in the campaign that is dragging your average IS down?
> I am not sure because the auction insight report won;t show on the low CTR ad groups.
If so, what keywords in that adgroup are contributing?

What is your conversion rate?
> not much. usually customers saw my ad online and they tend to give us an order on phonne. so i don't know how to count that kind of phone sales when calculating conversion.

-I attended a webinar a while back that showed strong correlation between CTR, Conversion Rate and Impression share. While not out of the mouth of google, there was enough data for it to be compelling.

Does lost IS fluctuate by hour of day or day of week or device? (Check using segments)
> i am checking.

thanks so much!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much!!! I will try.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Praveen.
I'am sure your suggestions will help me to improve IS of my "Search Campaign".

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 9
Community Manager

This 2013 thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread.

Thanks!