2.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

how to improve display impression share? mine is only 10%, thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

my display impression share is only 10%, does it mean that my ads can not  be shown properly? how to improve it? thanks much

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: how to improve display impression share? mine is only 10%, thanks

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Huili,

Welcome to the AdWords CommunitySmiley Happy

Yes, your campaigns have very low impression share. In order to improve the Impression share, you need to check the two other metrics column, Impression Share lost by Budget and Impression share lost by Ad Rank.

If your impression share lost due to Budget, you need to increase the budget but to be honest, your budget depends on your business objective, so you have some additional budget, you can increase the budget.

If you Impression share is due to Ad Rank, you can need to improve the relevancy of the ads.

Please follow the below link for more info:-

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497703?hl=en

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi huili,

impression share <10% is low, but also very unaccutrate. Is it 0,01% or 9,99%?
I suggest you restrict your ads with exclusions based on geographic and placement filters.
Also check the placement report with use of filters that show you sites with 10 times higher CPC and CTR than average. Check those sites very carefully - maybe you don't want to show your ads there

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Huili, first of all follow Rakesh suggestion and increase budget if you have lost traffic because of limited budget.

You have lost your traffic because of Rank, first of all add more ad.copies in different formats in rotation. Since Google is using auction system and Adsense publishers are able to choose which ad formats they want to see on their website, competition for different formats may be different. If you will check your ads now, probably you will see that some types are generating more traffic then others. Also there is a sense to put text ads in separate ad.groups and manage bids accordingly.

Cheers,
Alexey
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Mvarga, adwords is not showing IS from 0,01% or 9,99%, system will show you < 10%
Also getting rid of specific placements won't incease your impression share but it will lower it. However I would agree on your point that it's usefull to check placement report and exclude those placements which are wasting budget, also I am getting rid of placements with low CTR setting such filter - >1000 impressions + <0.04 CTR.

Cheers,
Alexey
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Alexey C,

please read carefully - you have completely misunderstood my post.
And can you explain: 'getting rid of specific placements won't incease your impression share but it will lower it'
So if I advertise in USA, Canada, Australia and UK and have an IS<10% excluding all but Australia would not increase my IS?
Also you got wrong the filtering and checking of placements, but never mind.

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

Mvarga, 

1) I undestood your post correctly - you are providing suggestions which will not solve Huili problem.

2) "So if I advertise in USA, Canada, Australia and UK and have an IS<10% excluding all but Australia would not increase my IS?" It will not increase your IS.

• Display impression share: The impressions you’ve received on the Display Network divided by the estimated number of impressions you were eligible to receive.

Let's put logic and mathematics in it.
IS=received impressions/estimated number of impressions you were eligible to receive
You are offering to decrease "received impressions". How it will increase DIS???

Huili needs more traffic - how placement exclusions will help him to get more traffic??? 

3) Please let me know what exactly is wrong the filtering and checking of placements and please be specific.

Cheers, 
Alexey

Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Alexey C,

1. Read this: 

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Tracking-Reporting/Impression-Share-report-to-help-optimizat...

and this:

'If you reduce your regional targets, you may see a rise in impression share'

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/How-to-improve-impression-share-on-...

2. Read this (use Gogole translate): http://escapestudio.hr/blog/ne-dirajte-mi-impresije-google-adwordsa/

3. Huili asked how to increase Impression share, not how to increase traffic

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star
Mvarga,

Please share your thoughts on this specific topic. I am aware of what is written on first 2 links and I agree with most of that information but you don't participate in discussion just sharing links instead of your own thoughts.

1) In the article there is a suggestion to pause poor IS keywords ( good point ) but not placements as you have suggested.

2) I am aware of option to exclude specific geographic region. But this can not only increase your IS, it can also lower it!! So before giving such suggestion, you need to segment placements by geo which is impossible in Adwords system, so you need to create separate campaigns for different countries to see this statisitics in future. It's a lot of efforts, but don't want to act as a blind people, right? Adwords is powered by mathematics.
3) What is the sense to increase IS except getting more traffic? Huili asked "does it mean that my ads can not be shown properly?" so he was wondering how can show his ads more frequently.
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Alexey,

increasing impression share, instead of impressions, is a valid approach. There is a different logic behind both approaches. Sometimes it's better to narrow the campaign, then to increase the number of impressions. Especially in tourism where the average cycle is 21,6 clicks / URL's long (http://www.slideshare.net/Travelmedia/travel-2011-roel-naessens-google)

You can partially agree with AdWords accepted solutions (eg. 'I am aware of what is written on first 2 links and I agree with most of that information') but it's useless to argue with others if you accept only partial answers.

And just to clear this out: Adwords is powered by mathematics but your customers are not! You earn from customers (and it's more art than science), not from AdWords.