Guide Me
star_border

how to best use the CPA bids while increasing conversions

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Thank you all for doing a great job on the board.

what is the best method of using the CPA, lets say my target CPA is 30$ and i get 10 conversions daily.If i bid at 30$ CPA bids here, it will allow keywords to show approx around 2.9$ CPC. however able to nail it down at 30$ CPA bid, i am using 3$ MAX MANUAL CPC already.

Now i understand that system use automize data(past conversions) to get the best data out to drive conversions, but in this scenerio where i want conversions to boost up by 50% atleast, what will be the ideal CPA bid here or using CPA bid even will be an ideal option because system will be using the same data for 10 ideal conversions a day within the target bid range. What would be the best thing to do? either higher bids with more traffic till i hit the target conversions or increasing CPA bids to get more conversion(if this will work at all)

Thanks

Tabish

Re: how to best use the CPA bids while increasing conversions

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

anyone with a suggestion?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

hiya,

we have a few CPA campaigns running (only Max CPA) and bid changes indeed affect the revenue level, but never found it to be "impressive"...

Do you have the basics targeting methods covered:

search + search partners enabeled

all devices targeted

ad delivery / rotation optimised for conversions

Delivery method /  "accelerated" might have an impact (make sure you have a high enough budget limit)

Have you tried to:

Extract all keywords from your adgroups with little click volume and export them in a new dedicated CPC campaign?

Duplicate your campaigns in other match types (has to start as CPC)?

Remove the keywords in your CPA campaign with low conversion rates so to "force" google to concentrate on specific keywords (export these low volume keywords in their own campaign)?

If all of this doesn't sound useful to you, could you give us a quick preview of your campaign setup (number of Ad Groups, number of KW per adgroup, match types used,keyword "proximity", number of ads per ad group, ad delivery method, use of KW insertion, if the 20/80 rule apply, daily budget reach, imression share, lost impression shares CTR, Avg position, basically, anything that you think could be useufl, excpet your Keywords and site obviously Smiley Happy)

hope this hleps Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

hi

Thanks for a replySmiley Happy

the campaign is of around 14000 keywords and 50 ad groups , each adgroup with 4 adds (finally nail down to two best performing). budget is 1000$ per day(never hit all in a day) (the motive is to grab as much conversions as they can be within target Cost per conversion)

We use Search + partners and found that CPA bids increase our conversion by 4% (amazing! isn't it?)

now my basic concern is this..if campaign conversions are 15 leads a day--based on data it will be 15 as it go on, however increasing CPA bids will help getting more exporsure(higher CPC) getting more clicks, so based on logic i tried to increased CPA bids , but it just increase the traffic without increasing conversions.(higher clicks means more users so why conversions didnot increased?, i have no idea)

since i tested CPA bids on multiple campaigns--all increased thier performance (increase profits on conversions) but didnot maximized the conversions

So in one line it comes to, what is suppose to be done to increase conversions while using CPA bids Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Have you tried to:

Extract all keywords from your adgroups with little click volume and export them in a new dedicated CPC campaign?

Duplicate your campaigns in other match types (has to start as CPC)?

Remove the keywords in your CPA campaign with low conversion rates so to "force" google to concentrate on specific keywords (export these low volume keywords in their own campaign)?

I did tried all of above, it was helpful increasing CTR and lowering CPC, but it increase my conversion cost by 25% Smiley Happy..funny system

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author tabish
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

hiya,

I can try to check with you if  the campaign is structured in the best possible way, but it's only my own opinion of optimisation though, other might guide you in other direction that can be as good... Here are some additional ideas (and debatable topics):

Another basic first: don't activate CPA until you have enough historical data... and... I don't think Google knows when you have enough data... especially when you have 14,000 keywords in 1 campaign split in 50 ad groups with keywords possibly getting <5 clicks in the last 2 weeks and generating a conversion (i personally rarely activate CPA bids)...

50 adgroups with 14,000 keywords is ok if you have very closely related keywords, but, the further they are from each other, the harder it gets to reach the right CPA goal.

For example (shoe industry), I think that keywords like shoes, trainers, running shoes, shoe-store and shoe-shop should all be in different ad groups. The reason being that 2 visitors looking to "buy trainers" will probably not be looking for the same type of trainers (maybe even trainers you don't stock), let alone 1 person looking for trainers and the other one for running shoes (think of "basket ball shoes", "bball trainers", "air jordan")... Everyone is ALWAYS in its own state of mind (angry, forced, happy, indifferent, pressed by time, stressed, etc.), and in its own buying cycle (buying mode, browsing, discovering, etc.) and has its own resources (rich, poor, inbetween), which kind of defies the whole ad optimisation process... The last 50 people who clicked on Ad B converted better than Ad A... yes, but which exact search query generated ad B vs. ad A and what type of people are they, which of these queries where unique, etc.

A bit off topic, but the point is: the more granular you can set your adgroups, the better...

Also, using search + partners can make CPA campaigns go berserk mostly because of the ad placement on search partners... you might get 1,000 impressions for a few closely related keywords, on say, 25 different websites where the ads are placed at various positions on the site (above, below the fold, on the left / right handside) which gets more complicated for AdWords to set the right position / placement / ad and bid combination for each search queries linked to a keyword in your CPA campaign (not even talking about how Google will decide which keyword should within your ad group will enter the auction, nor considering the spike when Google adds a new partner to its network...).

Not sure if you have mixed matched types in your ad groups, but I would avoid it, as it can make it more difficult to reach the desired CPA and makes it harder later on to relocate budget and split campaigns if needed. I would use simple Keyword combination in phrase / exact match type as much as possible (again, splint match types in different campaigns entirely). The reason being that phrase match like "red shoes" would show you all possible pre / suffix combination of a search phrase... OK, In the hope that you haven't tried the following already (unlikely, but fingers crossed...):

You can go to the keywords tab / Keyword details button (search term report) to see which ones of your keywords are generating the best CPA , and ad them to your CPA ad group in the relevant match type and why not even duplicate it in another campaign with another match type. Since they are already linked to the keywords, they should straight away be eligible to run in your CPA campaigns.

Theoretically, with "same match campaigns", you shouldn't have to increase your max CPA but only add nrew converting keywords that you would have found  via the search term report. Expanding this way your reach while increasing the potential query relevancy level of your keywords / ads for Google, the visitor and your wallet Smiley Happy 

Exact is the most tricky one for CPA. say you sell "hairspray", should you bid on [hairspray], knowing that over 80% of the 1st SERP is taken by links related to the movie / musical? Plus applying what said earlier, 2 people looking for "buy iphone" might be looking for 2 different products...

I know that most of it is debatable, but if you've tried increasing your CPA target and you only saw cost increase, it might as well be that you already have the #1 position for the search queries for which Google decides to run your ads  for (or #2 after the~nutter~ that bids £25 for "buy post-its") Smiley Happy

any of this helps?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Excellent--Thanks