AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

how does google adwords tell how much they are relevant - close variants & ad position issue.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Recently, I often see many unrelated Ads while I test my industry search terms such as 'iphone repair', 'iphone screen repairs' and so forth. 

Here are some examples. ( It's very local search result in Sydney, Australia )

Q1 ) . How Does Google Adwords Tell How much 'Laptop Repair' is relevant to 'iPhone Screen Repairs' ? 

Generally, Computer repair industry terms are under heavy competition and CPC is higher. 

We can often see /mac repair/laptop repair/computer repair/ Ad with mobile phone repair search queries. 

How can I get back my 2nd Ad Position against ' sort of Big Guys ' ? 

Q2 ) . How Does Google Adwords Tell How much 'iPhone 4S Plan' is relevant to 'iPhone Repairs' ?

This kind of situation has been often seen while Apple launches new products.

but now because of 'close variants' issue, I can see this ( above screenshot ) very often. 

Yes, Telstra, Optus are Vodafone are spending a lot on google adwords. 

Have you got any similar experience ?

How did you overcome this ? 

One small mistake from a Big Giant causes serious Big impact to a small business owner. 

Do I need to wait for Google Adwords to be smater ? 

Or 

Do I need to wait for Big guys to realize their unrelated target keywords ? 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: how does google adwords tell how much they are relevant - close variants & ad position issue

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey there,

Your question posts are always so detailed and interesting.

I will answer a few of your questions below.

That depends on what your budget and QS is. I suspect that because your QS will be better as you are more relevant to this specific term, you could try increasing your max cpc in small increments over a few days to see if you move from 3rd to 2nd. Also why do you want to be 2nd? Is that the optimum position for you because 3rd doesn't work?

One small mistake from a Big Giant causes serious Big impact to a small business owner. 

Have you considered that this might be deliberate and not a mistake by the big guys (in example 2, not 1). If someone is searching for ways to fix an iPhone screen then as a vendor of iPhones, Optus may see that as an opportunity to persuade someone to buy a new phone instead of fixing their old one. Call it a secondary or tertiary audience group if you will. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case in example 2, but yes in example 1 it looks like poor use of the broad match 'repair' keyword.

No, just focus on making your campaign the best it can be.

You could take the initiative and contact these big guys telling them they are wasting money and it would be mutually beneficial if they added some relevant negative keywords. I have seen this done before.

Does any of that help? I hope so.

Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: how does google adwords tell how much they are relevant - close variants & ad position issue

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey there,

Your question posts are always so detailed and interesting.

I will answer a few of your questions below.

That depends on what your budget and QS is. I suspect that because your QS will be better as you are more relevant to this specific term, you could try increasing your max cpc in small increments over a few days to see if you move from 3rd to 2nd. Also why do you want to be 2nd? Is that the optimum position for you because 3rd doesn't work?

Have you considered that this might be deliberate and not a mistake by the big guys (in example 2, not 1). If someone is searching for ways to fix an iPhone screen then as a vendor of iPhones, Optus may see that as an opportunity to persuade someone to buy a new phone instead of fixing their old one. Call it a secondary or tertiary audience group if you will. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case in example 2, but yes in example 1 it looks like poor use of the broad match 'repair' keyword.

No, just focus on making your campaign the best it can be.

You could take the initiative and contact these big guys telling them they are wasting money and it would be mutually beneficial if they added some relevant negative keywords. I have seen this done before.

Does any of that help? I hope so.

Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Awesome, Jack. 

It really helps a lot. 

One of biggest reasons I post  is 

Google's Recent changes are not much reasonable(?) .. I feel like this... 

For instance, from Example 1, How come "Laptop repair" Ad is so much relevant to 'iPhone screen repair'!! 

even there are many 'iphone screen repair' advertisers. and 'laptop repair' advertiser is a big frenchise in Australia which means that company won't do advertise like this way and has been doing 'Google Adwords' for a long time. 

I wish Google can provide 'close variants' keyword tool (?).. 

for example, by using this tool, we can predict which keywords are triggered by 'user search term'. 

If I type 'iphone repair',

this tool can list up

'iphone repairs',

'iphn repair',

'iphone repairing',

'LAPTOP REPAIR',

'IPHONE 4S PLAN'.

so we can add some keywords into negative keyword list in advance. 

Is it possible ? Heart

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello, I am in computer repair business and Having similar problem. I think google should have decided phone line for this kind of problems so they manually adjust at least some of them to help small business like us.

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
Hi David!
Unfortunately there is no such tool per say, however, there is one existing tool (the Keyword Tool) and the Search Terms Report that you could possibly use to achieve similar end results.
If you click "add new keyword" in one of your ad groups, the Keyword Tool (to the right of the box where you enter your new keywords) will give you suggestions for keywords relevant to your industry. If there are any terms in there that you think are not relevant to your business you can add them later as negative keywords.

You can also use the Search Terms Report (in the keywords tab, click on "keyword details" and then "see search terms > all). This report will give you a list of user's search queries that have resulted in a click on your ads. If there are any searches there that you do not wish to show for in future you should add them as negative keywords.

This is more of a reactive solution to your issue I suppose but it should help!