AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

how do I know my competition is clicking my ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How do I know that my competition isn't sitting at home clicking on my adwords all day long?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: how do I know my competition is clicking my ads

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Bill C,

Google has a sophisticated system to identify invalid clicks and impressions and remove them from your account data.When Google determines that clicks are invalid, they try to automatically filter them from your reports and payments so that you're not charged for those clicks. If it finds that invalid clicks have escaped automatic detection, you may be eligible to receive a credit for those clicks. These credits are called "invalid activity" adjustments.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/42995?hl=en
http://www.google.com/ads/adtrafficquality/invalid-click-protection.html

Edited : Google Does not disclose the IP address because of privacy.But IP addresses are written to your web server's log file(s).If you see some uncertain behavior from an IP address,you can exclude the IP address from seeing your ads. https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2456098?hl=en

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Bill C,
I think that it is not possible to know that your ads are being clicked by your competitor or not.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Bill C,

Google has a sophisticated system to identify invalid clicks and impressions and remove them from your account data.When Google determines that clicks are invalid, they try to automatically filter them from your reports and payments so that you're not charged for those clicks. If it finds that invalid clicks have escaped automatic detection, you may be eligible to receive a credit for those clicks. These credits are called "invalid activity" adjustments.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/42995?hl=en
http://www.google.com/ads/adtrafficquality/invalid-click-protection.html

Edited : Google Does not disclose the IP address because of privacy.But IP addresses are written to your web server's log file(s).If you see some uncertain behavior from an IP address,you can exclude the IP address from seeing your ads. https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2456098?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

so basically my competition could be clicking my ad, driving my clicks to where my daily budget is maxed out, my ads would stop showing,  and I would have no way of knowing, nor it seems would google have anyway of knowing or even caring...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Bill you definitely have no way of knowing for sure, but I believe Google does try and keep it fairly honest. It would be pretty obvious for them to spot someone who clicks on the same ad 10 times in a few hrs (or clicks on 100 ads all in the same "genre" of keywords) unless they were really using some extreme methods of changing their IP addresses and browser cache. And in those cases the clicks would follow the description Shuva described.

Also I would use another web analytic than just Google analytics to track your users on your website. Google does a good overview but doesn't do realtime. The one I use tracks IP and time so you could tell pretty quick if all of a sudden it tells you that you got 10 referrals by ads within 30 min and it was all at this IP. Again if someone really knows what they are doing they can disguise a lot of that but it takes time and is a pain.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Correct.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Google MUST finnd solution for this senario at any way ! Smiley Frustrated

Re: how do I know my competition is clicking my ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hello, i am running myPPC campaign and my budget is exceeding so i want to know that if compititor click on the add? and if yes then how can i prevent it?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Unfortunately competitor clicking wars does exist. I spent a week spending $60 a day without a single phone call . And other barely profitable weeks following that. I spent well over $1500 with no return on my investment. So I got fed up and deleted my Adwords campaign. I hear you can get google to block I.P addresses that are suspiciously clicking your ads obsessively, but that would require so many phone calls into google on a routine basis and who has time for that? My question is why is it so hard for a company that is literally taking over the world to get this fixed? Is it because more clicks mean more money? Maybe I don't know. But it isn't rocket science to me. There should be an option when you setup your google Adwords campaign , that suggests one click per I.P address anything more than that and they're blocked. Or whatever you wish (it's your campaign). If someone calls me from that ad I'll give them my number I don't want them clicking on that ad every time they want service anyway. And if they don't like what they see the first time they click my ad what's going to change the second time?! It's really fishy anyway , I have a hard time believing that the masterminds at google can't figure this out . I think it really boils down to , it's not their problem and they're getting rich . Hard to blame them. But don't kid yourself there's always a solution , they just aren't looking for one.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have the same issue as everyone else here with a little twist. After tracking and blocking IP address for weeks it was still clear that I was getting lots of expensive clicks with no calls. I even lowered my prices well below market value just to prove it. What I found was that one of my competitors was still able to click my ads I believe they were able to because they were using a mobile phone. The IP address would change as they traveled and they would clear there cach.

What I did to help stop the bleeding was to set the Max CTR of mobile device by 75% .(reduced it). You can do this in settings under Devices: change mobile bid adj. If I remember I will check back in a week or two and let you know if this helped.