AdWords
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

how can I place trueview ads only on GDN (And not Youtube)

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am in the process of creating a campaign for Trueview ads - Instream

I have two questions:

1. Main Question: How can I just place trueview ads only on GDN (not on Youtube)?

For second question - Background:

In the campaign point of selection for the "Networks" to deliver to I have first deselected 'Youtube Search' network, but if I then try to only select the GDN this is not an otion - without also selectiong You Tube Videos' Network - Which I do not want to deliver to.

So I then move further into the campaign beliveing that I have a solution - On options for Targeting by: Placements

2. Specific Question:

Can I simply select GDN sites here and then this will refine and restrict delivery only to the Placement sites/pages I define here?

Or are these placement pages additional pages that will be added to the previous (forced) selection I had to make make (Youtube Network = delivery networks - as described above)?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: how can I place trueview ads only on GDN (And not Youtube)

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your questions! I also saw the same greyed out options as you did after de-selecting YouTube Search and YouTube videos. As such, I'm not sure if the campaigns are designed to show video ads on the GDN and not YouTube. 

However, as far as I'm aware, if you add specific placements to your targeting group, your video ads should only show there, as long as you don't have any other targets added to the targeting group. If you add additional targets, I think your ad could appear on other placements that also match those targets. I'd also recommend adding YouTube.com ads a negative placement in the exclusions section of your video campaign. Do keep an eye on the traffic volumes because it might be quite limited based on these targets.

I hope this works for you! Any other ideas from the Community? Has anyone ever tried this before? 

Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 2.12.29 PM.jpg

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3481092

Expand Summary of feature changes , take a heart-attack pill and read under placements :

before : Placements were restricted to the network they applied to, regardless of the networks you had chosen for the ad.

after : Placements now apply to either the YouTube Videos or Google Display Network. Adding a placement will not opt you out of any network, but only restricts ad serving on the network you select.

-----------

more personal clarification : the GDN is considered a sub-division of youtube videos. Videos play on youtube.com ( or on localized domains such as youtube.co.uk) or they are served from youtube to other sites in embeded frames so when they are served from youtube on other sites they are called "videos on GDN" .

Exclusion of  youtube.com and all other youtube domains can be a theoretical solution, but from the approach of google they want to force advertising more on youtube.com by default so it might not work.

I am not sure if you can check if the exclusion works by accessing "Targets/Where your ads were shown: / Placements" , because in there I can see only video titles , not websites for In-Stream Ads.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Rachel – It is good to get the feedback that you are seeing the same as myself and you do make an excellent point about the exclusions. The big question I think is if an exclusion on placement of a site url that is Youtube.com will work. Outside of this it is a smart way of thinking about a solution.
In summary: You are saying add “Youtube videos” as a network selection together with selecting “Include GDN”. Then in the sites exclusions for GDN select Youtube.com.

The Logic for this: On the one hand the exclusions in GDN allow for url / sites and since Youtube.com is recognised as belonging to the GDN it is a site you can add to your exclusion sites.

However on the other hand since you have been forced to accept Youtube as a network (either Search or Display) and absolutely not given any choice to opt out of Youtube network and only given a choice to add GDN as extra coverage Google are probably signalling that they do not wish to provide GDN (only) Video ad options.

It will be interesting to understand if your suggestion could be a workaround (or has Google wired it so that this will not happen).

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Adrian – You reply is packed with insight – Thanks.

Good spotting on the before and after changes. Having now read the ‘after’ a number of times it feels a little clumsy the way it is written. So to state what it is saying to me and allow other contributors to check they see this in the same way as I do - My interpretation below:

BEFORE THE CHANGE OF POLICY: When you select GDN sites for PLACEMENTS this would have restricted delivery to the Placements and would as a result have stopped Trueview video ads playing on Youtube. i.e placements take preference.

NOW AFTER THE CHANGE OF POLICY: Any placement pages will now be added to your network selection and hence your forced Youtube Network selection will play ads and the extra GDN placements will simply be additional locations on the GDN to play over and above the forced Youtube network selection you had to make (Forced = Assuming that you didn’t want Youtube search or Display as a selection).

And just to complete: If however you include negative placements this will act as you would expect and restrict and will not play ads on these specific locations.

I like the extra insight from your personal perspective when you say “the GDN is considered a sub-division of youtube videos” – And then thinking about this perspective it got my thoughts more aligned - Since it does not make commercial sense for Youtube to restrict revenue generation if it is at the expense of the GDN - Since here on the GDN Google only share the revenue rather than collect all the revenues from their own Youtube network.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

The way I see it, if you block youtube.com as a placement , since Videos on other sites ( GDN) are served from youtube, you will get 0 (zero) impressions for this setup.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Adrian - I like that positioning since it is clear - Its a good pivot point to test around - But thinking about this whole issue around sole GDN vs Additional only GDN ads - Then I tend to think you are probably correct here - And if not totally 100% blocked probably highly degraded. Good insights - Thanks!